May 02, 2024, 07:12:09 AM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

AP-16+ constantly triggering IN1

Started by phalon, October 24, 2012, 04:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phalon

I was trying to hook up an AP-16+ to a prop1 controller to IN1 port and noticed that the sound would randomly play.
Now I am having the issue that the sound constantly plays. I put an led between the gnd and IN1 and noticed it had a dim light, witch means that IN1 is being constantly triggered.
I am not seeing any short-circuited lines on the board and I cannot see any physical component damage.
Any idea on how to fix this?

bsnut

October 24, 2012, 05:39:45 PM #1 Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 05:52:14 PM by bsnut
In order to give you a better answer, we need to know how you have it connected to the Prop-1. Are you triggering the AP-16 serially or are you using 12-24VDC input?

Another question, does constantly triggered the sound file when you disconnect the AP-16 from the Prop-1?
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

JackMan

First off, there are no "IN" designations on the Prop-1. The PIN connections can be either "IN" or "OUT" depending on how you program them, hence why they are I/O. You need to post your program.

phalon

At this point the prop1 isn't even involved since the audio controller will constantly activate at IN1 with just power and an SD card applied, no other wires attached.
The cable hookup I had was a cable from the 3v3 power out on t he audio controller to the OUT4 on the prop1, and from GND on the prop1 to IN1 on the audio control.

JackMan

QuoteThe cable hookup I had was a cable from the 3v3 power out on t he audio controller to the OUT4 on the prop1, and from GND on the prop1 to IN1 on the audio control.

That is incorrect, hopefully nothing is fried. You connected the 3V terminal directly to OUT4 of the Prop-1 which is GND when active. The 3V3 terminal on the AP-16+ does not get connected to the Prop-1 at all, it is the trigger voltage for the IN terminals of the AP-16+. A direct connection of the 3V3 terminal to any of the IN terminals will trigger the corrisponding AUX file. The only way to use th 3V3 terminal with a Prop-1 is a relay. You would much better off using a serial connection from the Prop-1 to the AP-16+

phalon

I tried the serial connections route, I have another post about under I/O. I couldn't get it to work. I think I blew something in the control chip for the INs. The rest of the chip works fine for ambient sound, I just can't use AUX of SFX sounds with it, I will chalk this up as a lesson and look into replacing it.

JackMan

QuoteI tried the serial connections route,  I couldn't get it to work.

Post your entire program and explain in detail what you are trying to get the AP-16+ to do via the serial connection.

JonnyMac

October 26, 2012, 10:18:50 AM #7 Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 10:21:22 AM by JonnyMac
QuoteI am not seeing any short-circuited lines on the board and I cannot see any physical component damage.
Any idea on how to fix this?

IN1 is an INput so if there is any voltage on it the 74HC165 shift-register (used to scan the INx terminals) is damaged.

QuoteThe cable hookup I had was a cable from the 3v3 power out on t he audio controller to the OUT4 on the prop1, and from GND on the prop1 to IN1 on the audio control.

The OUTx terminals are open-collector that switch to ground; if you had the Prop-1 and AP-16+ grounds connected together then you would have shorted out the AP-16+ power supply. The IN1 terminal is connected to ground through a 10K resistor so this probably saved the regulator but, clearly, something else happened and the 74HC165 is bad.  Please don't try to run the board anymore as the damage could spread.

Please call the sales office (916-770-9244) to get an RMA; after that you can return the board and we can evaluated for repair.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office