May 02, 2024, 12:39:29 AM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Sneak Preview!

Started by JonnyMac, April 01, 2015, 03:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonnyMac

This is NOT FINAL (we've actually added a few things since I did this model), but this is what the AP-8+ is shaping up to be. Note that it uses the same footprint as the HC-8+, etc.

The pins in the top right allow the AP-8+ to control an amigo board so you can decide what kind of outputs you want to drive.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JackMan

Looks good Jon. Is that 3.5mm jack LINE OUT?

Jeff Haas

Typo on the board:

"AUDIO SEELECT"

JonnyMac

QuoteLooks good Jon. Is that 3.5mm jack LINE OUT?

Yes.

QuoteTypo on the board:

I fixed that this morning but didn't regenerate the 3D image because we're adding things that are not finalized.

Here's what's happening beyond that image
-- swapped positions of START and SELECT
-- added two more control ports (four total outputs for amigos)
-- added 5v I2C port to allow external expansion

That last point opens a bit world of opportunities that JB and I are frothing over. The AP-8+, like its cousin the HC-8+, is going to very hackable.

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

livinlowe

So, I have to ask: Will this be available this year? Hopefully around September? Sorry to ask, I am familiar with the "we cant say because that may cause it to be released before its ready" feelings on your and parallax's product development cycles; and I fully agree! Just looking at options

BTW, you guys rock!
Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

JonnyMac

April 02, 2015, 09:48:55 AM #5 Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:59:39 AM by JonnyMac
We're trying, Shawn. The AP-16+ has been a success but is a bit out of the comfortable price range for non-commercial customers -- and not everybody needs 40 watts (moving to 50 soon) of power.

The AP-8+ is important because we're adding features specific to hacking/customization that will be migrated into many of our products.

1) Out of the box, it uses one-wire, half-duplex serial coms. With a trace cut, a solder blob, and a different version of the program, it will work with a two-wire serial device (like that silly Italian job so many people fawn all over....).

2) We're extending the I2C buss (at 5v) to allow off-board devices to be connected. I will probably write the code so that one can attach a popular I2C LCD an see the track that's playing, time into file, and volume levels. For hackers, the I2C port opens up the ability to do many things.

3) We're adding four control outputs (image only shows 2, we doubled that yesterday). We *may* be able to load a Vixen generated program (up to four tracks) into the upper EEPROM (the Propeller needs 32K, we always use 64K), so that a sequence can be played for one of the files. We would have to load the file on power-up because it takes a few seconds. I'm thinking about a way that lets the EE be updated when the SELECT switch is moved. There is a *problem* in that we have RANDOM and SEQUENTIAL modes on the SELECT switch -- in these modes we probably won't allow the playing of data on the control port outputs because there would be a delay to load the file into EEPROM that would be unacceptable. Using a microcontroller, we can only access one file at a time from the SD, so we can only play the audio file from it.

4) I spent a month working on a parser which will allow us to have a very easy control file for this and future products.  Imagine, for example, if you wanted to have control ports 0 and 3 operate with SFX00.WAV. In the control file you might have a line like this:

SFX00 PORTS %1001

I'm hoping now that people have seen what we're doing with the AP-8+ they'll chime in and express their wishes. We probably can't accommodate all requested features, but as with the AP-16+, we'll do what we can.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

leving

I'm chomping at the bit waiting for this one!.  I have several projects waiting for decent sound and control. I will finally be able to replace the Prop1 -> cheap sound board -> cheap amp with quality sound.  Do you have any idea of the price range?
Everyone will be happy.
Even if they must be held down kicking and screaming until they are.

JonnyMac

Don't know yet, trying to keep it around $80 or under.

It could be more depending on how manufacturing shakes out. We still think that's a pretty fair price for a device that provides quality audio (stereo, no less), and has four control outputs -- and is hackable!
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JonnyMac

Here's the latest incarnation of the board -- we're getting very excited; a "hackable" audio player is going to be a fun piece of kit.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

gadget-evilusions

I think that will be a nice addition to the line up. Not having to pay for the powered outputs when all you need is a line level is nice. I also like that it's the same foot print as an HC-8, I won't have to redesign my normal enclosure back plate.
Brian
Evilusions LLC
www.evilusions.com for all your pneumatic components

JackMan

I believe the speaker outputs are amplified just like the AP-16, the amps are just a little less powerful.

JonnyMac

The AP-8+ has the 3.5mm stereo jack for line-level signals and terminal blocks for the speakers. Amps are always voltage/load dependent, but it's safe to say that the channels are 2.5W each (under most standard use models). Much better than our original mono AP-8 that used a low fidelity sound chip.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

BigRez

Also looking forward to availability.  And hey, since it's called AP8, wouldn't it be half the cost of an AP16?  LOL, seriously though,  i haven't been able to justify an AP16 for any of the basic stuff I do so a lower cost/lower functionality solution would be great. Thanks guys!

JonnyMac

QuoteAnd hey, since it's called AP8, wouldn't it be half the cost of an AP16?

Yeah, no! It will be more than the old AP-8, but it's far better (stereo, 5W, user configurable, four outputs, hackable [for advanced users]). We're very excited to add the kind of flexibility to an audio player than many people have asked for.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JackMan

Are we getting close to getting our hands on these babies?  8)