May 01, 2024, 10:15:53 PM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

Sound cutting out randomly with the AP16

Started by youngti, October 30, 2015, 07:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngti

Sorry it took so long for me to answer this, spent most of the day taking everything down.  I don't think I shorted the speakers to ground.  This unit was hooked up just like the 3 other AP16's I have are.  The plus side of the speakers to + and the negative to -.  I suppose it is possible that I have grounded something in the wiring, but I thought I also checked that when I wired the speakers directly to the AP16 with speaker wires.  Same issue happened.  Not sure what to do, but seeing that it worked all night does not make me feel particularly comfortable that it will work next year.  Especially since both Jackman and JonnyMac do not think the firmware up date was the solution.

Is there some way to check if the unit is grounded out?

JackMan

Make sure the metal frame of the speakers aren't connected to the system GND. As long as they are isolated from GND and you just have the speaker outputs connected, that part of the equation is fine. I agree with Jon that CAT5 cable isn't sufficient for speaker wire but you said that was changed.

youngti

So the speakers are connected to a wooden box and i am sure that the cat5 and speaker wire were not run to ground.  Just connected to the + and _ of the AP16 and speaker.  Yes i thought about the cat5 too but i have changed that out with speaker wire so that should not have been a factor.

The AP16 is mounted to a wooden control board so i am sure its not grounded.  The speakers where connected directly to the AP16 with speaker wire soldered to the speaker terminals.

JackMan

Sounds like that part is fine. The problem with changing too many things at once is that if the issue goes away, you don't know what was causing it. If you have time, I would try your original SD card and see if the problem surfaces. It also may have been a wiring fault that got corrected when you changed the speaker cables. I suppose as long as it continues to function properly, might be best to let a sleeping dog lie.