May 16, 2024, 10:50:05 PM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

AP-8 Standalone loop play

Started by condolaw, October 26, 2007, 10:21:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

condolaw

Jon:
Am trying to get a couple of my AP-8's to STAND ALONE and continuously play a single loop (LESS THAN 55 sec).

The sounds have been recorded and play when pushing play w/ selected switches.

I flip the loop switch to closed, reboot - and the sound plays once.

I have tried various recordings, even the originally installed ones. Single play.

I have tried it on 3 or more boards - so it has to be me. >:(

Am I missing a jumper setup? Or did I miss some directions somewhere? ???

I will survive without it, but neighbors keep coming up with these "ambient" ideas that don't need a prop-1, just sounds. . .

Thanks for any suggestions. . .  even if you tell me "no" it won't work.

John
St. Augustine

ps. . . You must be on full Red Bull I.V. by now. . . .  :D
Condolaw
John
St. Augustine, FL

JonnyMac

John,

It may be our fault not yours -- my Rev D. board is doing the same thing and I don't know why.  I'm going to have to dig into it.  I apologize for any inconvenience this causes.  I'll get back to you with a definitive answer as soon as I can.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

condolaw

Jon:
Relax on getting an answer. . . I at least feel better that it is not "operator error" at this point and will move on.  Maybe we can look at it again AFTER the Halloween rush and a suitable time-out!!!  :o. . .

THANKS!!

John
St. Augustine, FL
Condolaw
John
St. Augustine, FL

condolaw

Jon-
I hate to admit it, but I re-read the AP-8 directions and under "Direct Input Control" it refers to starting a sound with a switched connection on the AP-8's  "P" pins.

My basic questions relate to "damage control" FIRST, functioning correctly, second.

Would putting a Jumper on the correct "P" pins make it Loop?  or would it damage the board by being continuously NC (Normally Closed).  *IF*  it would work, which pins should I try (B&R or R&W or make up a B&W) - or can I play with jumpers on the "P" pins to my heart's content without damaging the board?

Another idea - (FOUND BY ACCIDENT) -  I originally recorded a 56 second "ambient" sound starting at segment 0.  After I scrapped the loop idea, I needed the same board for a Prop-1 Jumper and recorded a Scream on 1-2, and Laugh on 3 (without first specifically deleting the 56 second ambient).  With the LOOP switch CLOSED and the AP-8's 2 1 0 switches OPEN, the prop-1 triggered the Scream and Laugh perfectly, followed by a 12 second (I used a timer) continuous loop of my originally recorded ambient sound until the Scream and Laugh were called again from the Prop-1.  (My guess is that the ambient came from sound 7 - only 12 seconds, because that's all that was left after leaving the suggested safety zone when recording the original track.)    As a test, I powered OFF the Prop-1 (AP-8 separately powered) and the ambient sound continued.  NOW THE IDEA - Do you see a "damage" issue by starting the AP-8 with a Prop-1, then disconnecting the Prop-1 (the serial connection) after the ambient sound begins?

Again, if you know it off the top of your head, fine, but otherwise wait till after the Halloween rush - We survived without it this weekend, we will survive on Wednesday (besides - DOWNPOURS ARE FORECAST for Wednesday and all are outside - BUMMER)  >:(

Thanks -
John
St. Augustine, FL
Condolaw
John
St. Augustine, FL

JonnyMac

I was able to duplicate your discovery and can tell you that you won't hurt anything by doing it.  I haven't had time to look into our AP-8 firmware to see if we have a problem or not -- sorry, Halloween has been kicking my tail....
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

condolaw

Jon:
THANK YOU over and over again. . .  I'll follow-up with this AFTER Halloween. . . As long as I know that I won't kill the board by playing with it. .  I am comfortable. .  *IF* I get it to work tonight the way I want, I'll send you my notes . . .

You must be down to 3 hours of sleep by now - if that much ! ! ! 

THANKS FOR ALL THAT YOU DO FOR US "Experts with no experience"  ! ! !  :-*

John
St. Augustine, FL
Condolaw
John
St. Augustine, FL

condolaw

Jon:
Garage testing completed.
  AP-8:
    Recorded 55 sec (or so) on sound 0.
    Opened switches 0 1 2
    Closed switch    L

Started sound w/ Prop-1 (following program), waited for sound to loop
Powered down Prop-1, Disconnected Serial.

It is working for me for my loop issue.  (Now if I only will NOT TRY TO TWEAK IT!!!)
Why the pause? - I don't know - it was in there, it worked, I didn't want to ask any other questions......!!!! :D

THANKS for your encouragement  ! !

John
St. Augustine, FL

---------------------------
Prop-1 Program:

'   File....... AP-8 Loop.bs1
'   Purpose.... Loop
'   Author..... John
'   E-mail.....
'   Started.... 10/29/07
'   Updated....
'
'   {$STAMP BS1}
'   {$PBASIC 1.0}
'
' =========================================================================
' -----[ Program Description ]---------------------------------------------
'
' Note: Serial communications on P7 requires the replacement of the ULN2803
'       with a ULN2003, or the removal of pin 1 of the ULN2803.
' -----[ Revision History ]------------------------------------------------
' -----[ I/O Definitions ]-------------------------------------------------
SYMBOL  Sio             = 7                     ' remove setup jumper
' -----[ Constants ]-------------------------------------------------------
' -----[ Variables ]-------------------------------------------------------
' -----[ EEPROM Data ]-----------------------------------------------------
' -----[ Initialization ]--------------------------------------------------
' -----[ Program Code ]----------------------------------------------------

Reset:

SEROUT Sio, OT2400, ("!AP8", %00, "P", 0)     ' start sound 0

PAUSE   10000                                   ' 10 second delay

Main:
GOTO Main
Condolaw
John
St. Augustine, FL

JonnyMac

John,

Thanks for your specific feedback; I was able to track down the bug and squash it.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office