May 02, 2024, 10:22:54 PM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Random tripping of AP-8 board using P.White and P.Black

Started by Spooky Dad, October 12, 2013, 12:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spooky Dad

I have my AP-8 set up to play a sound of a car crashing (segments 0 - 2) and a normally open (not powered) connection from a solid state relay to P.White and P.Black.  The AP-8 is randomly trippping, kind of like a motion detector input that isn't pulled to ground.  Do I need to add a resistor to P.White and/or P.Black to keep it from randomly tripping?

JackMan

Try removing the relay from the circuit and use a manual button to see if that functions properly. Also make sure the "Loop" switch is off.

JonnyMac

Solid state relays can be "leaky" -- they're not perfect like mechanical relays.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Spooky Dad

Thanks guys.  Life got in the way the rest of this weekend and I will try to suggestions later tonight or tomorrow.  The one thing I noticed is that I got touch a screw driver or volt meter to P.White and get the board to trip on its own.  Hoping the Loop off switch is the answer. 

Spooky Dad

OK.  Looping was already off and even with using a NO push button (used a light switch), I can still make the AP-8 trip by touching the connection going to P.White.  When I flipped the switch the other way, the sound just kept playing over and over again as soon as the board was turned on.  I am still having the same issue with the board randomly tripping.  Do I need to ground one of the pins (either P.White or P.Black)? 

bsnut

QuoteDo I need to ground one of the pins (either P.White or P.Black)?
There is no need to do that. You should be able to to trigger the sound file touching the P.White and P.Black together. You are doing right by using a switch to trigger the AP-8 manually, but after you trigger it the switch needs to be in the off position or it will loop the sound file.
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut