May 03, 2024, 07:34:17 PM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Shorted?

Started by aquawilly54, March 17, 2019, 05:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aquawilly54

Jonny Mac,
    Last Halloween I tried to operate relays with serial connectors using p7 and messed up two controllers.  Now When I load a simple sequence program using the output terminals as I should, there is no sequence.  All outputs come on at the same time on each controller. 

My question is; can these controllers be repaired, and if so can it be done for less than the cost of two new controllers?   I'm expecting to buy new controllers, but if you think these are salvageable please let me know.

Thanks much.

Steve

JackMan

Can't answer about the repairs but just an FYI in case you didn't already know, the pin headers are TTL only and can't handle loads greater than 20ma.

aquawilly54

Yep, that's what I found out the hard way.

livinlowe

Quote from: aquawilly54 on March 21, 2019, 09:24:38 PM
Yep, that's what I found out the hard way.
Lol, yeah that is not the way to find out.
Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

gadget-evilusions

Chock that up to lesson learned and buy new ones. Repairs will probably cost more than a new board
Brian
Evilusions LLC
www.evilusions.com for all your pneumatic components

livinlowe

Just curious did you try replacing the uln chip?
Shawn

JackMan

Depending on which version he has, the ULN might be SMD and not easily replaced. More than likely the MCU got fried from too much current thru the TTL pins.

livinlowe

Quote from: JackMan on June 30, 2019, 10:19:05 AM
Depending on which version he has, the ULN might be SMD and not easily replaced. More than likely the MCU got fried from too much current thru the TTL pins.
Good point. Forgot the new ones has smt chips
Shawn

aquawilly54

Yup, they are older versions, so I did swap ULNs.  No go.  Now it's July and I can finally get around to ordering new boards.  Thanks for the responses guys.

aquawilly54

And it looks like the prop 1 is no longer available.  Can anyone debunk or confirm this?  Prop 2's are too expensive for me.  I figured on getting two more prop 1s as replacements, but now maybe nothing, unless they are just not stocked right now.  Somebody please let me know if I'm missing it in the online store.  Thanks much.

Steve

aquawilly54

Well, this isn't the best news, but I'll keep checking in.   I don't think I'll ever have the tech minded brain for this stuff, and I sometimes get answers that are a little out of my box, but I do like what I've done so far, even if it is rudementory compared to most.  Guess I'll have to check out some bang boxes at this point if they aren't too spendy.

Thanks for the response JackMan.

Steve

BigRez

Looks like the EFX-TEK store is out of Prop-1 controllers, but I think I still have two or three unopened from a couple of cancelled projects.  I'd be willing to part with one or two for $35/ea.  I don't recall which rev board so I'd have to check.

As for support, there still seems to be some experienced folks out here that are always willing to help.  Not sure how frequently they monitor the site though. (I monitor maybe once a week now, down from several times per day.)

aquawilly54

Hey BigRez,
  I appreciate the offer.  If you're willing to part with two of them, I'm willing to buy.  I'll be out for a few days, but will check in next week sometime.  Just let me know if you're still good with it, and I'll send you my email so we can deal.
  Thanks much.
Steve

BigRez

I am good with it. I have three unopened, I believe rev D boards, and willing to sell two. (I believe rev D because I've got a few of those in use. Since these packs aren't opened, I can't check.  Send me a message when you get a chance and we'll work the details.

Mike