May 03, 2024, 06:40:56 PM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Connections

Started by JonnyMac, September 16, 2007, 10:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonnyMac

I've noticed that, at times, some are confused by the designations I use in schematics -- my goal with this post is to clarify the way I draw schematics for our forums.

Our prop controllers have two types of connections:
  1) TTL (5v) digital input/outputs via 3-pin servo headers
  2) High current, open-collector outputs via the green (sometimes blue) terminal blocks

When I draw a schematic and the connection is to go to the servo header (TTL I/O point) you will see "P" in the connections.  If the there is no indication of which header, e.g., P0, then that implies P0.W -- the actual I/O pin (as .R pins are +5v, .B pins are ground).  I will try to be very clear in my schematics and use P0.W, P1.W, etc., so that there is no confusion.

When I draw a schematic where the output terminal blocks are to be used, you will see "OUT" in the connections; e.g., OUT0, OUT1, etc.

Here's a diagram for further clarification:

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

SpookyDad

Jon

Thanks for this useful informaton.

Can you explain the W R B pins?

W = ?
R = +5v ?
B = GND ?

Neil

p.s. You must feel like a kindegarten teacher sometimes.  ;D

JonnyMac

W    TTL I/O pin from BASIC Stamp module -- protected with 220-ohm resistor
R    +5 VDC from onboard regulator
B    system ground (same as GND terminal)

Note: You should never connect solenoids or other inductive devices (anything with a coil) directly to the TTL I/O points (P0.W - P7.W) -- use the OUTx terminals that have additional protection from inductive flyback.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

brand

Just out of curiosity and for reference, what is the spacing of the screw terminals? They appear to be about .2" but I'd like to verify this. I'm trying to package my prop-1 into an instrument and am learning that the connector business is a bit complicated.

JonnyMac

Yes, the screw terminals are on 0.2" centers.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

radiodork

I've read cryptic comments on this message board of horrific things happening if these jumpers are not set correctly.

Could you give a basic primer on the purpose of the jumpers, and examples of when and when not to use them?

I'd hate to fry my board the first time out.

Thanks in advance.

-Radiodork

JonnyMac

You know, I am on these boards every day and I can't seem to remember any messages, cryptic or otherwise, regarding horrific things happening if jumpers are not set correctly.  Okay, something may not work as expected, but that's hardly "horrific." 

You're not going to fry your board if you'll read the docs we provide and ask specific setup questions if you're doing something beyond the basics.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

steveo

June 03, 2008, 07:00:55 AM #7 Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 02:07:25 PM by steveo
Jon,
I don't remember seeing anything regarding jumpers of horrific results either, but there was that one thread that someone posted this in:

01000100011100100110100101101110011010110010000001111001011011110111010101110010001000000100111101110110011000010110110001110100011010010110111001100101

radiodork

Quote from: JonnyMac on June 02, 2008, 02:40:33 PM
You know, I am on these boards every day and I can't seem to remember any messages, cryptic or otherwise, regarding horrific things happening if jumpers are not set correctly.  Okay, something may not work as expected, but that's hardly "horrific." 

You're not going to fry your board if you'll read the docs we provide and ask specific setup questions if you're doing something beyond the basics.

My apologies. 

After re-reading what I thought was a jumper comment, it turned out to be a voltage out vs. ground scare.  The guy was trying to control a fog machine contact, and accidentally send 12v down the line when he intended to simply close the contact.  Apparently he got smoke, just not the kind he was hoping for.  :D

Unfortunately, I sloppily read it as a jumper issue.

Thanks for the response.

-Radiodork