May 17, 2024, 02:49:10 AM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Standalone VSA with PropSX?

Started by halloweenguy, March 23, 2009, 04:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

halloweenguy

Jon, I have a few questions about using the PropSX as a standalone VSA device...

1. VSA Routines can get quite large and if you are controlling say a 3 axis skull with dmx devices you could exceed the 32k on board EEPROM pretty quickly. IS EFX- TEK going to upgrade current onboard 32K EEPROM at some point? I see you have the 64k EEPROM going onboard the new EZ - 8 Bit banger.

2. I am guessing I will need a stanalone MP3 player to make this setup work, and I might have to play with the settings to be able to synch the sound with the routine?

Nothing would make me happier than to be able to run VSA without the PC and still have DMX control!!!

JonnyMac

By my calculation a 32K EEPROM will run four servos for 4.5 minutes using VSA's default frame rate of 33ms -- most of my friends who are good at servo animations say this is plenty long (too long and viewers get bored).  Yes, you'll have to find a mechanism for starting an external player before running a show from the Prop-SX EERPOM; you'll probably need to add a small delay between sending the start message and moving the servos -- it usually takes a little time for the audio player to get going.

We will probably use 64K EEPROMs on the next rev of the Prop-SX as the EZ-8 uses 64K -- simpler to have just one part.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

halloweenguy

Jon, Let us know when you have this put together for a test run...I would love to get this working!!!