May 02, 2024, 02:17:33 PM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Building a Memorial with the Prop-SX

Started by Ryanm0085, May 03, 2011, 09:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryanm0085

I have been giving the task to build a memorial for one of my Fire Companies members that was killed in a motorcycle accident.  It's not that advanced i don't think, but i've never used any of the efx-tek products with dmx.  I have been using the Prop-1 and Prop-2 for a few years now.  I can't say i am a pro or even an expert with either one.  However, i am very familiar with each and have been able to write programs for each.  I have not used a prop-sx at all and not even familiar with it.  It seems though that it is what I am looking for.

The memorial is going to consist of a motor that turns a wheel, DMX LED Lighting, and a motion sensor.  The main reason for using the prop-sx is to be able to change the color of the LED lighting.  Also i would like to incorporate an LCD screen. 

I'd like to design everything so when the motion sensor detects motion, it will turn on the motor for the wheel as well as the lights to an amber color for lets say 20 min.  I think its pretty simple.  However, i have been asked to make it so the lights can be changed for different times of the year.  For example a rotation between red and green on Christmas or blue and red on the 4th of July.  I was thinking that maybe by using an LCD Screen and a few momentary push buttons they could toggle threw different settings and be able to view which one is active on the LCD or which one to change to. 

Another option that i think would be nice would be a timer option.  I am not sure if it is even possible, but maybe a 24 hour timer that we could set to start the sequence and a time where it would turn off.   

If anyone has any suggestions on this it would definitely be appreciated.  I also need to know what hardware i would need.  i'd like to make it as simple as possible, but also cover all of the needs i have been asked to.    once again, thank you

bsnut

This is easy for the Prop-SX and any other microcontroller to do and all can be done on one controller without any problems. I am glad that your Fire Company wants you to do this.

I am just trying to put my hands around the DMX Led part and have one question for you. Do have an DMX lighting components so you can do the DMX part of your project? If you don't and you can wait for the HC-8 to go on sale. The HC-8 can handle your DMX networking side without any problems, which can turn the Leds on and control the motor as well.
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

JonnyMac

There are a lot of details missing and unlike BSNut, I wouldn't say it's easy too quickly. Questions:

Is this a DMX slave or DMX master?
What is the size of the motor?
Does the motor have to have speed and direction control?
When you say "timer" to you mean real time clock?

All of what you want is possible, of course, I just don't want anyone thinking this is a code 5-minute code project as most

The HC-8+ will make thinks easier, that's certain.  DMX is built in (doing TX or RX is easy with the HC-8+, not with the SX), and there are eight dedicated inputs and eight dedicated outputs.  There is an option port to which you could connect an RTC (real time clock) circuit (you'd have to build it).
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Ryanm0085

I appreciate the fast response.  I have not purchased anything yet.  I am researching and looking for different ideas.  I am pretty set on using the efx-tek products as thats what i am somewhat familiar with.  I have been looking for outdoor or water proof fixtures but the only one ive found was by chauvet and it was over $200.  I may decide to get creative and build one, but im not too sure yet.  As far as the motor, i am working with one of our engineers at our shop to come up with some sort of drive system.  Most likely i am thinking a 12v gear motor.  Like i said, i just wanted to make sure this idea was even possible using the efx-tek hardware.  Seems like it can do almost anything.  As i decide on the motor and lighting i will post all the exact details.  We would be looking to finish everything by september this year.  I dont really think time is a problem.  Once again, thanks.

JonnyMac

You might consider using the Parallax HB-25 motor driver with the HC-8+.  For LCD you could use a Parallax serial LCD wired to the HC-8+ option port.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office