May 17, 2024, 03:53:24 AM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Analog/Digital/Analog - Real Time Audio Conversion

Started by Hack, February 10, 2009, 10:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hack

With an SX chip is it possible to take an analog audio signal (mono), convert it to digital, send it down CAT5, then convert back to analog? There are a few catches!

1) It must be real time
2) It must be high quality

If this is all possible, is it easy to then convert to stereo?

Thank you!

JonnyMac

I don't think so, no -- but then that depends on what you define as "high quality" (I'm speculating, but you may be able to get 10 kHz mono).  You'd need to build a custom circuit to condition the audio it, read it with an ADC (which reduces fidelity), then transmit it to the other end.  The second could be simpler: it could take the output from the RX UART and put it out on eight pins that are configured as a R-2R resistor network (simple D2A).

Just out of curiosity... why do you want to do this?  Would transmitting the signal via RF be a simpler solution?
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Hack

In my church there is a device we use for monitoring the audio of the worship band. It's called an Aviom. I want to build something similar to that for my own personal use.

16- 1/4" inputs
http://www.aviom.com/Product-Categories-2/Analog-Input-15/AN-16-i-Input-Module

CAT5 connection to mixer unit
http://www.aviom.com/Product-Categories-1/Mixers-1/A-16II-Personal-Mixer

This is pretty much what I want to do, but on a smaller/cheaper scale.

JonnyMac

I think you could do a simplistic mono version as I described above, but the Prop-SX is probably not the right platform for that -- you would be better suited with the Parallax SX28 proto board as this project requires a lot of extra hardware.  I've attached the circuit I used in a project that could convert audio from an iPod or microphone to an LED display.  The scan rate was 10 kHz.

You might try the Parallax SX forums as well; there are many art-based users there that do very creative things with the SX.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office