May 17, 2024, 05:05:29 AM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

LCD panel interface

Started by davisgraveyard, March 09, 2009, 10:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisgraveyard

I was reading this months Nuts & Volts (I started subscribing after Jon posting several references to his articles) and Jon's article about creating a stop motion camera using a SX got me thinking.   He used a LCD panel for the interface to show status and help with the setup.   He mentioned in the article that interfacing to a small 1 line LCD had been talked about many times but I am curious how easy it is to incorporate a small LCD panel into a Prop-SX or any of the controllers for that matter?

Seems like it would be a great way to interface with the controller.  Especially if values change or there is a wait state or more than one mode of the program?  Could be usefull if it isn't too much work to make it work?

Anyone done it?

Jeff

davisgraveyard

Ok, after a quick search on the forum I see that it has been talked about a little?  I can get a Serial 2x16 LCD for Parallax for about $25 (non-backlit) $30 (backlit) or a I can pick up a 2x16 LCD panel from all electornics for $6. 

I see that the serial LCD is pretty straight forward and just takes  a pin and you can send anything you want to it.  But what about the generic LCD part by itself?  If I get the wiring figured out what are the limitations of going that route?  Does this limit its use to only a SX or could you do it with a Prop1 or 2?

JonnyMac

It's a cost versus connections thing.  A generic 2x16 LCD will run about $8 new from Mouser, but then you have to connect it and you're using seven IO pins (eight with backlight control).  It's certainly possible to connect and use a generic LCD with a Prop-SX, but the time and effort spent on the connections may well make the cost of a Serial LCD -- which takes just one pin for control -- very attractive.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

davisgraveyard

OK you conviced me. I bought the nonbacklit serial LCD from Parallax for $25 + a cable.   I think it is such a cool idea to have a monitor for your prop controller.  At least while you are debugging it while it is in the prop.   

Jeff