May 16, 2024, 10:49:55 PM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

LEDs connected to two devices (PROP-1 and ST-300)

Started by BigRez, August 24, 2010, 10:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigRez

I'd like to be able to control a couple of LEDs with both a prop-1 and an ST-300 device but not simultaneously.  While the prop-1 is waiting for a trigger, the LEDs would occasionally blink/fade.  Then after triggering the start of the ST-300, they would blink in sync as controlled by the ST-300.  And if they did get used simultaneously, what could happen?

Can I wire them up to both devices directly or should something (diodes?) be placed in line similar to the following:

prop-1 ---------|D>------+
                         |----------> LED
ST-300 ---------|D>------+

JonnyMac

What you have is a diode OR gate so if either device is active the LED will be active.  I am assuming, of course, that you're using TTL outputs for the LED control.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

BigRez

Thanks Jon.  Yes, they'd be connected through TTL on the prop-1 and the LED connections on the ST-300.  So for the diodes, I have some 1N4001 left over and assume these will work?

JonnyMac

Any general purpose diode will be fine.  You'll get about 0.7v drop across the diode, so you'll want to account for this when sizing your current limiter.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JackMan

I'm assuming your Prop-1 output goes low when the ST-300 triggers? How do you get an LED to fade with a Prop-1?

BigRez

It doesn't have to go low.   But yeah, "fading" probably isn't correct.  It'll be on, off, or some level of blinking.  Haven't figured it out exactly what it'll do but wanted the ability to control the LEDs from two different devices.

JonnyMac

Hint: Make sure that the LED and the boards have a common ground.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JackMan

QuoteIt doesn't have to go low.   But yeah, "fading" probably isn't correct.  It'll be on, off, or some level of blinking.

If the Prop-1 output doesn't go low, isn't there a possibility of the Prop-1 lighting the LED's when the ST-300 is driving them?

BigRez

It doesn't "have to" but can and that's part of the main question...  Can I have both devices activating the LEDs at the same time? .

JonnyMac

Yes; with a two input OR gate, if one input OR the other is active, the output will be active.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

menehune

If you use an regular "OR" gate and not an "Exclusive OR" gate, any (or all) active input will activate the output.
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/gates.htm#or

Diode logic OR gate:
http://www.play-hookey.com/digital/electronics/dl_gates.html

BigRez

Yes, the OR condition is what I want and not the XOR.  (XOR would not light the LEDs if both the prop-1 and the ST-300 are active.)  thanks.

JackMan

I guess I was just referring to your initial post:

QuoteWhile the prop-1 is waiting for a trigger, the LEDs would occasionally blink/fade.  Then after triggering the start of the ST-300, they would blink in sync as controlled by the ST-300.

They would not exclusively blink in sync with the audio if the Prop-1 output didn't go low.

BigRez

Understood.  Thanks all.  The plan is that the sequence will be able to define how the LEDs should be controlled; by the ST-300 (prop-1  low), full-on (prop-1 high), or blinking/st-300 sync.

It would be better if I could turn off (disable) the st-300 sync when I use the controller to light the LEDs.  Could I wire them up so that they both connect to the LEDs but when the prop-1 is high the st-300 is made low?

I know I could use relays inline with the st-300 connection and flip them on or off with the prop-1, but perhaps there's a better way to wire them up so that when the prop-w goes high, the st-300 connection is set low (effectivly ignored)?

JonnyMac

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office