May 01, 2024, 06:15:43 PM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Help a Fellow Halloweener?

Started by JonnyMac, September 22, 2010, 01:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonnyMac

September 22, 2010, 01:58:06 PM Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 05:20:28 PM by JonnyMac
This gentleman, Peter Montgomery, is a good friend and a great prop builder.  He has custom animatronics control system as well -- though he does, from time-to-time, ask me to whip up a little "extra" on a Prop-1 or one of our other products.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1163328321/halloween-2010-journey-from-the-center-of-the-eart

Here's what Peter wants to build this year -- and, yes, the screw will be turning and smoke will billow forth (we've talked about this over lunch a few times).

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

livinlowe

Wow! That is incredible! (or will be since that is a computer graphic)
Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

JonnyMac

Just six days to go and Peter has almost made his funding goal (Kickstarter is an all-or-nothing proposition).
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JonnyMac

Congrats to Peter -- he achieved his funding level!  Uh oh... that means he's about to put me to work!
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

bsnut

Jon,

Uh oh... that means he's about to put you to work with the paint brash again ;D.

I like to thank you for posting Peter's funding idea because, this gives me a way for me, to fund some of the small projects that we work on at Streetcar Museum (2011 Halloween maybe one of them) and the Ship that I am restoring.
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

JonnyMac

November 01, 2010, 10:54:43 AM #5 Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 07:00:39 PM by JonnyMac
Well, it was just getting dark and the ToTs were arriving when we finished, but we finished.  It looks a little different that the concept art (due to construction requirements), but the scale is amazing.  From the tip of the [rotating] drill bit to the base when the spine comes out of the ground is almost 25 feet.  The drill is seven feet in diameter.  It took six of us to tip and turn it into position (boy, was that exciting, as the skin is nothing more that 1/4" EPS that is texture painted).

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JonnyMac

Note that I updated the picture from the one I took -- under the serious influence of exhaustion -- to one that Peter snapped the day after Halloween.  This gives you a better look at the overall "set" and all the details that Peter and his team put into it.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

gadget-evilusions

Brian
Evilusions LLC
www.evilusions.com for all your pneumatic components