May 01, 2024, 09:07:52 PM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Connecting to the PINs

Started by steveo, August 10, 2007, 11:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveo

John,
Thanks again for all the info. Quick question - what is the part number I need from Jameco (assuming you order from them) to make my own connections to the header pins?

p.s.
I blame you not one bit if you direct me to your pre-made cable.

JonnyMac

August 10, 2007, 12:34:11 PM #1 Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 08:42:33 AM by JonnyMac
Stehveo,

You can use our cables or build your own -- the Jameco part # is #100766.  Jameco has shells as well; I usually keep 2- and 3-position shells on hand.  Here are parts that you might want to order:

#100766 -- female crimp pin
#100812 -- 2-pin shell
#157382 -- 3-pin shell
#159266 -- crimper tool
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

CoffinBound

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but is there a right way -vs- wrong way to use the crimp tool?  I purchased the parts you mentioned half expecting there to be directions on the crimp tool on how to use it, but alas there are none. Can anyone help me before I ruin all my crimp pins?

CoffinBound

JonnyMac

August 29, 2007, 01:10:25 PM #3 Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 02:23:21 PM by JonnyMac
Follow the directions in this document:

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/cols/nv/vol1/col/nv8.pdf

Then... (here's what makes them bullet-proof).  Heat the pin-socket at the crimp point with a clean soldering iron and then just sweat on the tiniest bit of solder; this will ensure a good connection that won't come apart.  Those pins are designed for machines that use thousands of pounds of pressure and there is no way a human can duplicate that with a hand-tool; by using a bit of solder you connections will be good forever.  If you use too much solder you might not be able to get the connector onto a pin, so go easy.

[Edit: 26 JAN 2008] The soldering job is easier if you apply a tiny bit of liquid flux to the connector (at the crimp point).  Then you can put a little solder on the tip of your iron and touch it to the crimp point.  The liquid flux will clean the joint -- we use it because apply the solder to the iron causes any flux in the solder to boil off.  Clean the connection with 99% alcohol or flux remover.  For single pins, I simply protect them with a piece of 3/32" heat shrink tubing.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

CoffinBound

Cool.  Thanks for the good info.  Maybe now I won't be throwing out the money I spent.  8)