May 16, 2024, 11:27:01 PM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Knock 24vdc down to 18vdc for the AP-16

Started by gadget-evilusions, March 26, 2012, 08:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gadget-evilusions

I am building some rather large control cabinets for a customer, inside I am planning on installing several AP-16's. I will have some hefty 24vdc power supplies inside to operate the contactors and relays and such. Is there any easy way to knock the 24v down to 18v to operate the AP-16's, or should I just add in some power supplies? This cabinet will have all DIN rail mounted equipment, even the AP-16's, so I was hoping not to have to put in some desktop power supplies.

And no, I have no found any reasonably priced 18v Din Rail mount power supplies. I have been looking for a year.
Brian
Evilusions LLC
www.evilusions.com for all your pneumatic components

JonnyMac

Better to use power supplies set for 18v.  To "knock down" you'd have to go through a secondary regulator, anyway, which just adds another component in the chain.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

gadget-evilusions

I found this, http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Power_Products_(Electrical)/Power_Outlets/FA-REC3 which will allow me to din rail mount 3 outlets. It will make the install a little cleaner having a place inside the panel to plug in the 3 power supplies I will need for the 3 AP-16s in each panel. So I will just buy AP-16's with the standard power supplies.

Thanks.
Brian
Evilusions LLC
www.evilusions.com for all your pneumatic components

bsnut

Brian,

From what I remember they make adjustable power supplies that drop down to 18VDC. But, I will have to double check for you. You can always use what you found from Automation Direct since they can mount to Din rail.
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut