May 16, 2024, 08:02:26 PM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

Paintball Hayride

Started by ksmith, May 09, 2012, 06:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksmith

I'm new here . Ive done yard haunts for years. but 4 years ago we moved to the sticks. no trick-or-treaters. So I thought why not a Haunted hayride ( wife said hell no @#$@@#$!!!!!). So here I go.
I made a Ax worthy Flying ghost, monster in the box,and etc.., So the mechanical stuff is easy for me. but now I want to get deeper into it. here are my thoughts to start with.

I have four props I'm wanting to start with.

Blast A Zombie  Six 55 gal. drums with zombies that pop up and down. Like "Wack A Mole" but you shoot them with the guns. 
One more Zombie in this area that pops out of a drain pipe and spits a mist f of water out of it's mouth. Then it retracts back in the pipe. I would like to run an audio track with this system too.
A scarecrow with arms that move ( four points ) head back and forth,  eyes that blink and maybe mouth that opens and closes. It will be on a rig the moves forward and back controlled by a garage door opener. I need audio for this one too.
Grave jumpers  these will be simple push open the casket doors and the prop opens it's mouth and moves the head. Then it resets. I don't need audio for this as I'll have actors running this area.

Thanks for any help.
Kenny
Twisted Creek

JonnyMac

Kenny,

Welcome to the forums.

One thing that I'm pretty strict about is how we handle threads.  Since things can get really technical we do one project per thread.  So pick the first prop that you want to start with and then create a new thread for it (i.e., don't use this thread).  Of course, you'll want to start that thread in the appropriate section of the forum.  Most props can be handled with the Prop-1 controller, but some will use the Prop-2, and if things get really sophisticated may even need the HC-8+.  Don't worry, I can move a thread to another section if the controls aspect changes.

Remember that we have all sorts of members and not everyone understands Halloween props like you do.  That is to say that when you start a thread on a prop you need to provide a lot of details; don't assume that anyone knows what something is by a name used by Halloween enthusiasts.  Many of our customers build museum exhibits, movie and stage props, or general purpose industrial controls.  Again, details count.  Things like inputs and outputs and timing of events are critical.

The key to getting good help is providing really good descriptions.  Okay, then, we'll look forward to the detailed description of your first prop.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

ksmith

OK thanks ! I'm  very new to this as you see, so I'll be better next time. The worst thing is the stuff you're talking about  timing and stuff I don't know yet. I'll be able to do it, I'm pretty good with a computer. But I don't know the equipment yet or anything about working them.     

JonnyMac

Quotetiming and stuff I don't know yet.

If you don't know... how can anyone else? ;)  This is actually the trickiest part of the process: writing the specification.  When John and I are working on new products we spend a LOT of time talking about it before we start working on it.  That time to create the specification lets ideas ferment (into good stuff) and let's us explore options.  Never rush love, death, or writing a good specification!

QuoteI'm pretty good with a computer.

That's good, because getting sophisticated -- and interesting -- prop control requires a controller.  Sequencers are okay, but get boring in a big hurry.

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

ksmith

QuoteSequencers are okay, but get boring in a big hurry.

Yes !  that's what I need to get away from. So I'm trying to start here.

Thanks Jonny