May 16, 2024, 07:58:36 PM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

PIR Rev. B from Parallax

Started by livinlowe, October 29, 2014, 05:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

livinlowe

Well, got this PIR sensor hooked up last night and I can report (at least with the sensor I got) a couple things:

1. The false triggering with this revision seems alot less than with the Rev. A sensor.
2. The lens lights up when it triggers, which is kinda bad for a prop in the dark  :-[
Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

JonnyMac

Is it possible to remove the lens and put a bit of tape of the LED that causes the illumination? Interestingly, I just saw a product a Fry's that was, essentially, little stick-on discs to cover small LEDs. I find electrical tape works great (though it can leave a residue).
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

livinlowe

Im not sure Jon, I will have to check it out and report!
Shawn

livinlowe

Quote from: JonnyMac on October 29, 2014, 09:42:28 AM
Is it possible to remove the lens and put a bit of tape of the LED that causes the illumination? Interestingly, I just saw a product a Fry's that was, essentially, little stick-on discs to cover small LEDs. I find electrical tape works great (though it can leave a residue).

I can report that you can cover the LED that illuminates the lens with electrical tape! There are two LED's one on each side of the sensor under the frensel cap. I have also found that with the jumper in the long range position, performance is much more erratic that in the short range position. Short range is considered maximum of 15 feet, which I personally feel is great for the props we build for halloween and christmas.
Shawn

bsnut

Thanks for the report. It's good know we have a willing tester to provide this report.
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut