May 16, 2024, 10:02:20 PM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Limiting PIR Sensor Range

Started by Traveler, July 13, 2015, 03:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traveler

I want to limit the field of vision of the Parallax PIR sensor. I'd like to make it so someone has to more or less be directly in front of my unit to activate it. I've seen the solution about putting the sensor back inside of a PVC tube to restrict side vision. I've had some luck with that however but that takes up more room than I'd like and seems rather inelegant. Has anyone tried just painting a vertical slit on the lens? Maybe something like a cats eye slit leaving the meddle area unpainted but painting the side areas thus restricting what the PIR can "see"?

Has anyone tried this?

Are there other PIR sensors on the market that are compatible with the AP-16+ that might have such capability?

JonnyMac

That dome cover on the PIR is a Fresnel lens: it gives the sensor a wide angle of view. I know that some have removed this to create a narrower field. You might give that a try.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Traveler

Thanks for that idea Jon. I may give that a try

gadget-evilusions

I made brackets that limit the field of vision from PVC angle and aluminum in the past.

Recently I have been having them 3d printed. https://www.shapeways.com/product/UZBVUSRZ7/sensor-bracket-for-parallax-pir-sensor?key=cc40a45442ab1ee9308322b6ecfbe84c
Brian
Evilusions LLC
www.evilusions.com for all your pneumatic components

JonnyMac

That's a cool design, Brian. I have a friend with a nice 3D printer so he usually prints things for me, but I've been wanting to try Shapeways. Are you happy with the final print?
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

gadget-evilusions

Everything I have gotten from shape ways has been very nice. I like getting instant pricing. It takes about 2 weeks to get parts, but I don't have the overhead of needing my own machine.
Brian
Evilusions LLC
www.evilusions.com for all your pneumatic components