May 01, 2024, 10:57:48 PM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

PIR maximun operating voltage ?

Started by Clad In Shadows, January 24, 2016, 08:00:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clad In Shadows

According to the info, the PIR sensor has an operating voltage of 3.3-5V .
I am working on a door access project that works on 12V and was wondering if the PIR sensor could handle 12V ?

livinlowe

I'm going to say definitely not. The spec sheet only says 3-5V. Looks like you'll have to step down your voltage with a regulator. I would go 5V.
Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

Clad In Shadows

The reason I asked is because I saw similar sensors online and even though it says 3.3-5V ,
it also shows "Operating voltage range: DC 4.5-20V"

livinlowe

Quote from: Clad In Shadows on January 24, 2016, 01:16:20 PM
The reason I asked is because I saw similar sensors online and even though it says 3.3-5V ,
it also shows "Operating voltage range: DC 4.5-20V"

The spec sheet on parallax shows operating voltage as 3-5v. That's all I can go by (rather than personal experience)
Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

JackMan

Are you using an EFX-TEK controller for this?

JonnyMac

January 25, 2016, 09:19:12 AM #5 Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:34:31 PM by JonnyMac
If you're using the Parallax PIR that we carry you do not want to plug anything above 5V into it -- will definitely let out the smoke. There are commercial PIR units that operate at 12V. Most use an open-collector output which we can connect to any of our controllers.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Clad In Shadows

Ok , thank you guys for the info.

I AM talking about a Parallax PIR sensor.
It will be used with a door access system's power supply.
I just wanted to make sure I won't ruin the sensor.

JackMan

Quote from: JonnyMac on January 25, 2016, 09:19:12 AM
If you're using the Parallax PIR that we carry you do not want to plug 5V into it -- will definitely let out the smoke.
I think there's a voltage typo above?

JonnyMac

Whoops... what I meant was ANYTHING ABOVE 5v.

Thanks for the catch. I'll fix that post.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JonnyMac

In the FWIW category... relying only on forums is a mistake. Jack caught my typo and, hopefully, Chad won't plug 12V into the Parallax PIR.

Tip: Always consult the manufacturer data sheet for specifics about a device. Parallax provides that here:
-- https://www.parallax.com/sites/default/files/downloads/555-28027-PIR-Sensor-Product-Guide-v2.3.pdf

I will make sure that [updated] link is on our product web site as well.

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Clad In Shadows

Thanks for rectifying that.
As far as the data sheet goes , I didn't look at it .
I found PIR's online that look exactly like the Parallax ones but can run on 4.5-20V , so that's why I asked before I was gonna hook it up.

JonnyMac

QuoteAs far as the data sheet goes , I didn't look at it .

ALWAYS read the data sheet! In fact, make it a habit to get the data sheet or and any available documentation for any part you think you're going to use. I have a folder on my system called Tech Docs that is subdivided by manufacturer. Any time I'm considering a part for a project or design, I download the docs and store them there so I have them to refer to when I need them.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JackMan

Yep, not reading documentation before use is probably the #1 cause of electronics releasing the magic smoke. In fact, it usually pays to read it twice!  :o