May 02, 2024, 06:06:02 AM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

Board Protection

Started by Dackels, October 05, 2021, 10:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dackels

What is recommended for board protection?  We use a centralized power supply and they get turned off after each night of the haunt is closed.  Is there anything recommended to put inline right before the board for its protection?  Like a soft start board maybe? 

Jeff Haas

I think a soft start board is a good idea, especially if each controller is also on a circuit with props that power on at the same time.  For example, here's a YouTube video on how one haunter built a soft start board for his wiper motor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QLEQyYXh-s

The one thing I would suggest is not building your own, but buying commercial units.

Dackels

Thank you for the info.  The only commercial units I have been able to find are in the hundreds per device.  Since the prop1s are only $45, it doesn't make much since.  Do you know of any that are the lower cost side?

Jeff Haas

There are some modules available for stereos, etc. for about ten bucks on ebay from US sellers - search for "soft start circuit".  I can't find the equivalent on Amazon.

This is an example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165123953477

The only issue is that we're on October 21 and with shipping the way it is this year, you may not get anything in time.

Dackels

Thank you.  Is Efx-Tek still in business?  There stock is way down and I just tried to email them using the email address from the site, but got a kick back from them saying their mailbox is full.  Weird.

Jeff Haas

They have shut down.  JonnyMac is no longer checking in here, and I have no idea what would happen if you tried ordering one of the last remaining boards.  Maybe John Barrowman would still fulfill the order.

Someone is occasionally making sure that this message board stays up, they did an upgrade (which is why it looks different).  A few of us hardcore fans check in now and then to answer questions like I did for you.  I'm happy that the board is still up, I refer to some of the old posts now and then for tips.

Unfortunately that's the news.  I learned so much from this place that I hate to see it go, but that's the story of a lot of technology companies.

Dackels

Well that stinks.  We have been using them for 10+ years.  I always bought extra items to make sure I had backups, but now we are getting to the point of those running out.  Any suggestion on replacements?  I'm not a fan of the boo controllers, but is there anything else, like prop1 that you know of?

Jeff Haas

The easiest thing would be to stick with Parallax Basic Stamp modules, or one of their boards.  The Basic Stamp 1 and 2 are still in production and actively supported by Parallax.

https://www.parallax.com/product-category/basic-stamp/

However you would have to take some time to figure out connections.  But this would allow you to use all your existing code with only minor modifications.

There is not a programmable board made quite the way that the Prop-1 and Prop-2 are, they are usually designed for people to learn robotics, programming, etc, so they're a bit more general purpose.  Although you can certainly use them, there isn't that big a difference.

BigRez

Quote from: Dackels on October 24, 2021, 04:33:05 PMWell that stinks.  We have been using them for 10+ years.  I always bought extra items to make sure I had backups, but now we are getting to the point of those running out.  Any suggestion on replacements?  I'm not a fan of the boo controllers, but is there anything else, like prop1 that you know of?

Yeah, same here.  Been a long time customer and bummed about the situation. I spoke with JohnnyMac a while after this board went down and got some info - wasn't good news.  Was glad the board came back on-line though.

I think I still have one unused prop-1 and maybe a prop-2 but that's it.  I have found that working with RaspberryPi and Arduino isn't that much different. I even programmed a few Attiny85 chips for small light projects.  Check out Octobanger.  It's based on Arduino boards. I haven't used one yet but hear it works very well. 

mike

Dackels

I have looked into Arduino boards, my only issue is the operating voltage.  All of our valves are 24V DC.  We really don't want to swap out all of valves.  I'll look into Attiny85 and Octobanger.  Thank you for all of your help.  I would love to talk to JohnnyMac and see if I could purchase the diagrams of the prop1 and AP-16.

BigRez

Quote from: Dackels on November 26, 2021, 02:01:17 PMmy only issue is the operating voltage.  All of our valves are 24V DC.  We really don't want to swap out all of valves.

You wouldn't have to get new relays... the Arduino would run at its native voltage (7-12v preferred) and would flip relays supplying the 24v to the valves. 

Dackels

December 05, 2021, 12:55:31 PM #11 Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 12:57:42 PM by Dackels
Yeah, I was hoping for a simpler setup is all.  We are going from a 3 board setup to 5, maybe.  I am using this article to test and learn: http://buttonbanger.com/downloads/octobanger/octobanger_example_build.pdf .  Figured I would start there and adjust. 

As of right now, from reading, the box would contain:
1. Adruino
2. 4 Relay board
3. MP3 board
4. Mini 10W Audio Power Amp
5. Buck converter

We use centralized power supplies, 24V DC.  I am going to split the power, 1st branch to the buck converter, and second branch to supply the power for the relays.  The buck converter will step down the voltage to 12v and supply the voltage I need for the adriuno and the amp. 

That is what I have drawn up so far.  What do you guys think?

BigRez

Sorry, notifications were off.

Sounds about right.  Are you powering the relays from the stepped down 12v or 5v from the arduino ?