May 16, 2024, 09:23:19 PM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Flame-ify a WickLED

Started by JonnyMac, October 30, 2008, 03:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonnyMac

October 30, 2008, 03:40:47 PM Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 04:40:06 PM by JonnyMac
Today I'm building a talking Jack-o-lantern for the porch and wanted to have a few faux candles inside -- here's what I did to turn a WickLED into a candle with a flame.

Mix one ounce clear silicone caulk with six drops of glycerin, four drops of water, and just a hint of color (acrylic paint or food color).  The color is important as it lets you know everything is mixed, but be careful not to use too much (I did! -- the silicone should be translucent).  The water will help the silicone set up very quickly, so as soon as the silicone in mixed dip the WickLED into it and pull it out to create a flame shape.  You have about five minutes before the silicone is too difficult to deal with; give it an hour to fully setup before you do anything else with it.

Credit where it's due: the silicone recipe comes from Tom Henke of CalHauntS.  He uses this to make inexpensive silicone molds.

I created the candle body from a piece of 1/2" PVC using a bit of hot glue to form the drippings and to secure the WickLED inside the PVC. 

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office