May 19, 2024, 08:30:24 AM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Prop-1 Tutorial Videos -- Your Input Requested

Started by JonnyMac, April 18, 2012, 09:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonnyMac

April 18, 2012, 09:34:05 AM Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 04:04:59 PM by JonnyMac
While enjoying meeting and talking with a lot of customers at Transworld, this happened:

Customer: Aren't you a professional actor?
JonnyMac: Yes, I am.
Customer: Then why don't you have any training videos posted?
JonnyMac: That's a really good question without  a good answer....

Well, there is a reason, but it could sound like an excuse.  One of my favorite books of late is "How to Shoot Video that Doesn't Suck" by Steven Stockman.  There is an admonition in the book that I heartily agree with: If you wing it, it will suck.

That is to say that I'm never going to turn on my video camera and start talking without serious planning -- you can get enough of that nonsense on YouTube, and I think you deserve better.  I have the gear, a studio space to shoot in, and can make the time to create nice, professional videos to help you learn the Prop-1 controller (we'll get to other products later). 

I'd like to get going in the next month or so.  Please let me know what you'd like to see.  And do keep in mind that I don't have big props to work with -- we have to keep this about programming concepts and simple demos that I can do in a YouTube format.

Okay... these are MY ideas; please let me hear YOURS.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

John B

I like videos with plenty of aliens, explosions, and bikinis, but not necessarily aliens in exploding bikinis!
Seriously,  I would like to see videos organized in chapters, with the first chapter being an overview of the Prop-1.  Each chapter thereafter could be a project, general in nature, like an MIB, Hangman, TCT, Electric Chair, etc.
Once the general videos are fleshed out, I would like to see intermediate videos on: using Random well, numerical computation, reading various sensors, control loops, managing servos, state machine techniques.
If your still feeling froggy, how about an advanced series on multitasking?

Well, you asked for it!

John B.
EFX-TEK

JonnyMac

April 18, 2012, 10:59:37 AM #2 Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 04:05:20 PM by JonnyMac
QuoteI like videos with plenty of aliens, explosions, and bikinis...

Who doesn't!  But this is an EFX-TEK series, not a Michael Bay movie!  Here are some ideas I have been mulling about:

Introducing the Prop-1 Controller
-- understanding what it is and all its parts

An Introduction to Prop-1 Programming
-- if you can blink an LED, you can do anything
-- introduces the BASIC Stamp Editor

Using a Template to Keep Your Programs Organized
-- creating and/or installing a template in the BASIC Stamp editor

Understanding SYMBOLs
-- making your programs more human-friendly
-- the values in a program: pins, constants, and variables

Defining and Using Prop-1 variables
-- organizing to keep things straight

Tricks and Traps with PINx variables
-- silent but deadly tricks with these special variables

Programming Structure
-- from simple to advanced, how to create a program that matches the desired outcome

The Essentials
-- understanding these Prop-1 keywords will get you 95% of the way there

Keywords for Advanced Programs
-- with these you can really kick some booty

Using Sensors to Trigger Your Program
-- tips for connecting and preventing false positives

The power of RANDOM
-- really stir it up

Serial Control
-- extend the power of the Prop-1 with slave devices like the AP-16+
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

livinlowe

I think you've got 95% of it. I can't think of anything else
Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

bsnut

April 18, 2012, 06:52:04 PM #4 Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 07:32:20 PM by bsnut
I'm agreement with Shawn on this and think you covered everything.

Every teacher needs something to use to show what is going on. I have this suggestion for you and that is, you can the Chuckie or the Three Stooges prop as examples
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

livinlowe

Quote from: bsnut on April 18, 2012, 06:52:04 PM
I'm agreement with Shawn on this and think you covered everything.

Every teacher needs something to use to show what is going on. I have this suggestion for you and that is, you can the Chuckie or the Three Stooges prop as examples
That's a really good idea william!
Shawn

leving

This is a great Idea and the list looks good.  Will this be a youtube video or on-site.
Everyone will be happy.
Even if they must be held down kicking and screaming until they are.

JonnyMac

We will put them on our YouTube channel and make them available through our site.

Note to all: I don't have a lot of big props to demo.  My goal is to teach programming techniques that can be applied to a lot of props.  That said, I will get in touch with local haunter friends to see if they'll appear with me on a prop-specific episode.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

livinlowe

Oh yeah, I'm sure you will teach the programming aspects well (you always do)! I was just thinking that some "this is a solenoid" "see this site on hook up instructions" would be good for the home haunters that, after you explain the programming, will want to jump right into the pool  :D
Shawn

JonnyMac

April 19, 2012, 05:36:38 PM #9 Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 05:38:15 PM by JonnyMac
You got it.  Anything that I can do on a table-top that will allow me to get clear close-ups (for highlighting and captioning) is fair game.

Another thing to note is that this series will not be haunt-specific; we serve many diverse customers.  This is why I'm trying to keep things fairly generic.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JackMan

Jon,
   I'm sure you'll do an excellent job with the videos. As far as video lessons go, I think programming is more a text related area. I think a video explaining how the circuit of the Prop-1 functions and how to make the proper wiring connections would be extremely useful to new customers. Even though the docs are very good in this area, there seems to always be questions and some confusion in the forums about what the connections do and how to properly wire things up.

JonnyMac

Don't worry, Jack, there will be lots of graphics and images for practical connections advice.  Those are simple things to show.  A generous friend gave me a cool dental compressor (quite and lots of pressure) this week so I can even show the activation of a pneumatic -- just to reinforce the idea that it's not more difficult to control than an LED.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JonnyMac

Just a reminder, gang, this project won't go into production until after we get back from MHC, so please keep the ideas coming.  I want to have everything well-planned before going into the studio for a full day of shooting.  At this point I'm planning an 11-episode series.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office