May 07, 2024, 05:24:18 AM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Cross-Platform Tool From Parallax

Started by JonnyMac, August 29, 2015, 03:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonnyMac

We haven't had a chance to work with this yet, but thought we should share the link for those of you who prefer operating systems other than Windows.

-- https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/parallax-ide/djbdelcnligmaaddjeenddjodmiaoffo
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

hover1

JonnyMac

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

hover1

Not a good reply from Parallax:

Hello Jim

The Parallax IDE editor doesn't  support the BS1. The main reason being that sales on the BS1 are not high enough to support  it in Parallax IDE.

Best Regards,
Miguel Rodriguez
Parallax Inc. Tech Support

I explained that the Prop-1 does generate a lot of sales, but I guess it fell on deaf ears.

JonnyMac

October 30, 2015, 06:52:56 PM #4 Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 06:55:46 PM by JonnyMac
I spoke with the CEO of Parallax about this just yesterday, and while noncommittal, he was much more open to the idea. The reason the BS1 gets so little play is that one MUST use Windows to program it. There is still use for a small micro like the BS1 (as our Prop-1 proves), and Parallax could help itself by providing cross-platform support. No promises about what will happen, but we're continuing to suggest the add BS1 support to anything they do.

Where I disagree with Miguel is that sales might be better if the BS1 was supported. Just a year or so ago Parallax created a mini lighting controller for the Elev-8 quad copter with the BS1 -- clearly, they still believe in it (even if a new tech support guy does not).
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

hover1

I tried to talk to Jeff Martin directly, but he was in a meeting. Ken was also unavailable. Then I got Miguel. Chris S would have been better to talk to.

I have a Light Commander, and it is a great product.

Jim

JonnyMac

I reminded Ken that when Jeff ported the BS2 compiler from x86 assembly to C he found two instructions that Chip had neglected to document and that the could be hidden gems in the BS1 compiler. Parallax has embraced cross platform; I'm hoping I can convince them to do with for all products they control, including the BS1.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office