May 15, 2024, 12:07:02 PM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

Vixen Preview

Started by JonnyMac, June 24, 2007, 09:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonnyMac

June 24, 2007, 09:34:25 AM Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 09:37:28 AM by JonnyMac
Vixen needs an output plug-in attached to the sequence before it will play it -- so what do we do when we're using Vixen as a programmer?  Use the "Adjustable Preview" plug-in; and with just a little work we can use it to visualize our sequence output.

1. From the Sequence window, click on "Attached Plugins"
2. Select "Adjustable Preview" from the left-side list
3. Click the "-- Use -->" button
4. In the Channels fields enter the values 1 and 8 (Prop-1) or 16 (Prop-2)
5. Click on "Adjustable Preview" in the right-side list, then click the "Plugin Setup" button

You'll be presented with a blank screen that allows you to "paint" on outputs.  Select the output from the drop down, then use your mouse (left button to paint, right button to erase) to create an image.  You may also load a background image to "paint" over.  When finished, click the "OK" button, then the "Done" button in the plug-in setup dialog.

I've attached a demo with Prop-1 graphic embedded in the "Adjustable Preview" output plug-in.  Put this file into the Vixen\Sequences folder.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JonnyMac

Here's the Prop-2 version (ZIPped to meet attachment size requirements).
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

livinlowe

Wow! Now thats funny! I did all this a while back, jon, and when nothing happened I was a little confused. So tonight, playing and rereading your post, it occurs to me that you have to PLAY THIS SEQEUNCE. Then the logo comes up and the outputs light in accordance with time sequence. Well DUH!  :) Thanks Jon, now this makes sense as a cool preview feature.
Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

livinlowe

Jon-
Looking at the Prop-1 demo sequence, I wonder if there would be a graphic that could be done kind of like the prop-1 picture only you could use it as a representation of the servo movements commanded? Sounds like a good idea to me, though, of course I'm just me!
Shawn

JonnyMac

Not possible with the way Vixen works; remember, it's a light dimmer that we're coaxing to be an animatronics controller and prop programmer.  Vixen 2.0 is much more animatronics-friendly, but I don't know that you'll be able to paint servo positions in preview graphic.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

SideStreet

I?ve done a little Vixen R&D but?  Is it compatible with Microsoft Vista or any reports of problems before I install.

Strong work guys, no problems with EFX or Parallax and supported products.  My shops full of this addictive stuff, changing how I do special effect gags in the Vancouver  film industry.

JonnyMac

We love the film industry! -- especially me (www.jonmcphalen.com)
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

SideStreet

My fellow film brother, this is good.  Have you heard of any problems on compatibility with Microsoft Vista and Vixen.

Thanks in advance, Steve

JonnyMac

I haven't, but then, I'm running XP Pro.  Vixen has a dedicated set of forums at www.vixenlights.com and there is probably better information there.  I'm sure I'll be in touch with KC tomorrow, so I'll ask him.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

SideStreet

Thanks JonnyMac

That was the first place I check out but didn?t seem to find the Vista info.  Your dedication is unsurpassed and as always your the best.

ravenscroft

After being at MHC and seeing Jon (finally) program a prop-2 with vixen I can say that this will make so many lives easier. 

livinlowe

Yeah, I can't believe how easy it is to get an output sequence. I want to try the servo demo program and see how that does.....now to build that darn skull!!!
Shawn