May 15, 2024, 03:16:46 PM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Using a PC to drive the FC-4

Started by Caretaker.CCI, January 16, 2008, 07:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caretaker.CCI

OK? The answer is probably staring me in the face but I?ve managed to overlook it so I have a question.

I am trying to use the computer to run an FC-4 directly without using a Prop1 or Prop2 (I think this is possible). I have the serial inverter with the appropriate USB adaptor attached to the computer and FC-4. I know the FC-4 works (I used it last Halloween with a Prop2 controller). I can get the Vixen software to run the Preview Plugin and I have a copy of December?s Nuts and Volts sitting in front of me. It seems to me like I need a new ?Attached Plugin? (a .dll driver ?) but I can?t find one for the FC-4. Is there an FC-4 driver that I need to install or am I missing something?

Thanks for your help.

Greg

livinlowe

Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

Caretaker.CCI

Yes, I saw it but I didn't realize what I was looking at. As I said... I'm sure I was staring the answer in the face! I have downloaded and installed the driver and I'm trying to make it work right now. Thanks!

Caretaker.CCI

OK? I?ve downloaded the driver, when I complete the following steps:

1. Click on the ?attached Plugins? button
2. Select the EFX-TEK FC-4/RC-4
3. Click ?Plugin Setup?
4. Select Com Port (I?ve tried them all)
5. Under ?Channel Groups? I select FC-4 and the address (%00 in this case) then OK
6. Done
7. Then I press the ?play? button

I get:

EFX-TEK RC-4/FC-4:
The port ?com1? does not exist

Any suggestions?

JonnyMac

Is COM1 being used by another program?  The Vixen driver attempts to open it and if it can't it will report an error.  COM1 should be a direct serial port; if you're using a USB adapter (you can) then you'll need to make sure that the Virtual Com Port driver puts the port at 4 or less (mine does).
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Caretaker.CCI

Can you suggest how to do this or should I put in a call to a computer friend?

JonnyMac

Are you using USB?  If yes, the port is automatically assigned by Windows -- you can use the Device Manager to find out the assignment and if it's Com1 - Com4 then it will be fine with Vixen 1.11.  Vixen 2.0 will support com ports above 4.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Caretaker.CCI

This is a follow-up to this thread so that other people who find themselves in the same situation may benefit from what transpired here.

First, let me say thank you to Jon and LivinLowe, their help is truly appreciated. Now to the problem (there were 3) that needed to be dealt with.

The first problem had to do with the driver for the FC-4 and RC-4 (I didn?t have it). It was staring me in the face and even though I had seen it in the one of the posts I didn?t pick up on its necessity immediately until LivinLowe pointed it out.

The second problem had to do with how the computer assigns the USB ports that are being used. Apparently, the laptop that I was using will assign com ports beyond ?com4? and Vixen 1.11 doesn?t recognize that. I have access to another computer that let me assign the output to com3 and was able to get the computer to talk to the FC-4. Unfortunately, I was still unable to get the computer to make the FC-4 work.

I feel stupid even admitting the last problem but I think it?s instructional and therefore worth admitting to. In the very first post I indicated that I was using a Prop2 to control an FC-4. True enough, however the FC-4 that I grabbed and been run by a Prop1. So what you say? well the guys out there that know what they are doing probably picked up on the problem immediately, communication between a Prop1 and the FC-4 is at 2400 baud. Vixen and the FC-4 need to communicate at 38.4k baud. Many times I looked at ?Install B/R jumper? and wondered what that meant (but did nothing about it). Jon didn?t pick up on it because he was given bad information by me (sorry!). The jumper on the FC-4 needs to be set for 38.4k!

Some final thoughts, first? my hats off to you guys at EFX-TEK; you have an impossible job trying to figure out what ?we? have gotten ourselves into. Second, and this is to others that may find themselves in the same boat as I was, be patient and PERSISTENT! I know it gets frustrating but keep at it. When communicating your problem, you have to give as much (accurate) information as possible. Let the guys who know what they are doing sort through what is important and what is not. In the end? you too will learn what is important.

Greg

livinlowe

Great follow up greg! I, too, have had the baud rate jumper problem   :D. I'm sure your write up will help many people, both new and experienced.

Shawn
Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

JonnyMac

Glad things worked out, Greg.  Now have some fun with your FC-4s and Vixen!
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Caretaker.CCI

This is a follow-up (to the follow-up) but I know it will help some people.

I continued to have problems getting a computer to communicate with the FC-4 because some of the computers I was using didn't have a standard DB-9 serial port (only USB) and (usually) the computer would assign the USB port to something higher than COM4. I found the following link that tells you how to set the COM port. I hope that I am not violating any rules by posting it here. It helped me... hopefully it will spare someone else the ordeal I went through.

Greg

http://www.cropscan.com/SerialUSB.html

JonnyMac

January 26, 2008, 07:38:40 PM #11 Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 07:40:11 PM by JonnyMac
Good news: I tried those steps with the Parallax USB-to-Serial adapter (which we recommend) and it works as well.  Here's a summary of how I did it:

1. Left-click on Start menu.
2. Right-click on My Computer, then left-click Manage on the context menu.
3. Left-click on Device Manager in the left-side pane.
4. Left-click the icon adjacent to Ports (COM & LPT) to expand the port list.
5. Right-click on the desired USB port, then left-click Properties on the context menu.
6. Left-click on the Port Settings tab, then left click the Advanced button.
7. In the Advanced Settings dialog you'll find a drop-down list for selecting the COM port.

8.Select an available port, then left-click the OK button to close the Advanced Settings dialog.
9 Left-click the OK button to close the Properties dialog.

Note: You may need to refresh the port list to see the new assignment; you can do this by right-clicking Ports (COM & LPT) and then left clicking Scan for hardware changes from the context menu.

Thanks for the research, Greg, this is very useful to know.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office