May 03, 2024, 06:13:13 PM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Audacity versions for AP16+

Started by aquawilly54, September 27, 2016, 05:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aquawilly54

Hi everybody.
   I have an issue here that I've been troubleshooting for a couple of days, and I think it comes down to the version of Audacity I'm trying to use.  Here's the short story:
  I have two versions of Audacity on my two computers.  2.1.0 and 2.1.2.  This is because my old computer crashed.  The old version of audacity on that computer was I believe 1.2.6 (only because that's what my documents say dated 01 May 2007, document version 1.1)  It seems that these two new versions of Audacity are not compatible with my AP-16+'s (Rev D and Rev D1)  I went to the EFX-TEK audacity link and it gets me to the same 2.1.0 version.

Troubleshooting:
I have 4 new SD cards this year, and one old SD card with last years Audacity recordings installed still on it.  It plays fine in the programs.  My new recordings do not play.
After countless formatting attempts and verifying file names I tried the following:
- I took the old recordings and put them on each new card.  They all played just fine in the AP-16+.
- I put new recordings on the old (verified good) card and it did not play.
- I then put the old recordings back on the old card.  It plays fine. 

Here's the big question:  Can I get the old 1.2.6 version of Audacity?  I can't find it. 
If not; how do I match the new Audacity versions to my AP-16+'s?? 

Here's something I noticed on Audacity:  When I look at the format option there, it defaults to 32 bit.  If I change it to 16 bit the recordings are hidden somewhere.  I don't know if this means anything. 

As with all my previous years here I greatly appreciate any and all help.
Thank you.
Steve

JackMan

It's the bit rate. Has to be 16 bit or the files won't play.

aquawilly54

Here's something I noticed on Audacity:  When I look at the format option there, it defaults to 32 bit.  If I change it to 16 bit the recordings are hidden somewhere.  I don't know if this means anything. 

How can I change the bit rate so that I can see the recording waves? 

JackMan

When you save the file, click Export and then choose WAV 16 bit in the drop down box as the format. That should be all that's needed.

aquawilly54

OK, I was able to locate the 1.2.6 version of Audacity.   I have gone between the two versions (1.2.6 and 1.2.0) and set everything I could find to 16 bit.  Three places on each version under the Edit/Preferences tab.   I have the project rate at 44100 and FFT size at 256-default.  I still have the same outcome.  Old stuff plays on all cards - new recordings don't play.  Files are named same as the old...SFX##.WAV 
I also tried Test.WAV when changing PS to PW in the program.

What else could be wrong??
I'm dyin ova heeeer. 

Steve

JackMan

What format are you choosing when you save the file?

aquawilly54

Here's the rundown.

Cards are formatted as FAT32

After formatting many times over my process is as follows:
Record
Click File
Click Export as WAV (sometimes I even make an actual selection and Export as selected WAV)
Files are named SFX00.WAV, SFX01.WAV, SFX02.WAV, and so on, and saved directly to SD card

WAV (Microsoft) signed 16 bit PCM

JonnyMac

September 27, 2016, 08:52:10 PM #7 Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 08:55:08 PM by JonnyMac
Tips:
-- don't encode your files greater than 32K (you cannot hear the difference, and it just makes bigger files)
-- if you can use mono, make the file mono (again, makes smaller files)
-- use File\Edit Metadata to clear metadata from pre-recorded files (conversions from MP3)
-- do use WAV, 16-bit PCM
-- you do not need to specify the file extension, Audacity will take care of that.

Last week I converted a bunch of files for a friend using the latest version of Audacity with no problems. One of the things I do with my setup is in the Preferences dialog. On the Import/Export panel you can tell Audacity to open the Metadata Editor before saving; this way I never even have to think about it.

As a test, I would try to save a new file onto one of the older cards that's working. Your tests show that it's not the Audacity version that's the issue -- time to look elsewhere.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

aquawilly54

Well, I think I found it.

Jonny Mac,
  Everything you mention has been part of my trials ie...size of file, clearing meta data, 16 bit formatting, dropping the extension, mono vs stereo, and all.  The one thing that eluded me "I believe" is that I have so many SFX## files on these computers that "in my terms" they might have been trampling over each other, so as a last ditch effort for the evening I made an SFX09 file since all my others range 0-8.  It played perfectly on all cards.  I think what's in order is some house cleaning, and then maybe it's time to start naming files for PW use instead of PS so as to avoid any criss crossing.  Tomorrow will tell, but now I can sleep.

Thanks for all the input guys.
I'll be back.
Steve

JonnyMac

If you're controlling through the serial port then that's a good idea.

One of the things I'm working on right now is the ability to tell the AP-8+ and AP-16+ which file to play for each position of the SELECT dial. This will entail creating a text file for the SD card that holds the audio files. In that file you could have a line like this:

SELECT 0 PLAY LIGHTNING

This will cause the LIGHTNING.WAV to play any time there is a START input with the SELECT knob at 0, or the PS command of 0. This should help in the management of our audio libraries.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

aquawilly54

If I understand that correctly, it means that something like that would play any time a file with a 0 digit starts.  Right?  It sounds pretty cool.  Right now I'm trying for the first time to use my AP-16+ as stand alone to go through all of my files.  Let me know if this is correct please.
I have the 18V power supply hooked up and I have 12Vs connected to the switch input (E).  The file I installed plays when I hit the start button on the AP, but I also get what sounds like a heart beat through the speaker whether the file is playing or not.  Is that the usual?

Steve

aquawilly54

September 28, 2016, 06:19:38 PM #11 Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 06:28:29 PM by aquawilly54
Scratch that. 

I had the 12V connected to the wrong terminals.  It's installed in terminal F now (12-24V input) but isn't working when I hit the start button.  It does play if I turn the AP-16+ off and restart it, but not with the button.  Also, I just found out it works with a NO switch installed in terminal E (switch input), but again only once.  If I turn it all off and start again it will play, but just once.

Thoughts??

aquawilly54

OK, here's what I'm finding out:

With 18v supplied, an NO switch installed, an SD card with multiple files, and the random switch on - the thing works as advertised.

With 12v supplied by itself - nothing

With 18v and 12v supplied, a multiple file card, and the random switch on - the files go thru automatically one after the other

In any configuration I try, the blue start button does nothing.  I know I'm missing something.  What is it??

All of this is just for fun before I get started on my main work.  I needed a break.

JonnyMac

I don't understand connecting 12V and 18V. Pick one or the other; you'll get more power from the amps with 18V, but they'll run hotter, too.

Before continuing, please try installing the 1.9 Beta code. A few OEMs have been running this for several months with no problems. It has a whole new architecture will allows us to support new features down the line. You can find that here:

-- http://www.efx-tek.com/php/smf/index.php?topic=2298.0
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

aquawilly54

"I don't understand connecting 12V and 18V. Pick one or the other;" 
         Because 12V wasn't getting me anything.  Of course I was following the documents which read as " Applying a 12- to 24-volt DC voltage to the 12-24V INPUT terminals (F).  I found out that I could put 12V into the 2.1 power jack and my NO switch works, but the blue start switch still does not.

Anyhow, I was only playing with it.  I followed that link and read it, but I didn't see any directions as to how to perform the beta download in to the AP-16+, so  I'll take care of that  at a later date.  If I try now I'll just be sidetracked and not get done what needs to be.

You've probably noticed as well that I couldn't paste in your quote.  I can't get any of the icons to work, so yeh, I seem to have issues everywhere. 
As always - thanks for your input.  Much appreciated.

Steve