May 03, 2024, 08:40:15 PM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

AP-16+ relays

Started by aquawilly54, September 04, 2018, 08:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aquawilly54

Hi folks,
    I need clarification please.  I want to use the AP-16+ on board relays this year for lighting.  I'm thinking AC with just a couple of household type LED bulbs.  I see the relay rating is 15a @ 120V, but I read somewhere in the forum that the board is only rated for 5 amps.  Of course I can't find that posting tonight after an hour of looking, so I need to know what's what please.  If I can use AC power, 5 amps doesn't give me much room to play, so I'm looking for advice.

Thanks much.
Steve

JonnyMac

While the relay is in fact rated for 10A, the board traces won't accommodate that much current and could be damaged.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

bsnut

Here's a suggestion. Use another relay that is rated for 10 amps to control your LED light bulbs with its normally open contacts and the coil of this same relay would be powered from the AP-16+ relay normally open contacts. This way you can't damage the board.
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut