May 18, 2024, 01:06:55 PM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Good Programming Book??

Started by botag, February 21, 2009, 02:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

botag

Is there a good "Basic" book that would co-exist with the Prop-1 ??? I've looked at a lot of them but there seems to be differences between the language versions.....October will be here before I know it...so I want to start now...

Thanks Guys and Gals

JonnyMac

There is no programming book for the Prop-1... yet, but in the mean time there are of places to learn.  I posted links N&V articles written by myself and others that have to do with the BS1, the core of the Prop-1.

http://www.efx-tek.com/php/smf/index.php?topic=595.0

Of course, experience is the best teacher.  Figure out what you want to do (in detail), post a request and we'll help you with the code.  When you see your spec converted to PBASIC 1 it will start to make sense.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

menehune

Years ago (10? ;) ), I started with Parallax's "Stamp In Class" tutorials and kits, then bought a Basic stamp instruction manual (lists all the instructions for the BS1 and BS2)  There was an appendix which listed the commands that were different between the BS1 and 2 and the equivalents.
The books were (still are?) available as .pdf downloads from Parallax. 

The books and lessons got me thinking in a logical way, getting the notation and program commenting down, then I was off trying different things on my own and chasing bugs.

My best teacher was to build it, break it, see how others fixed or solved the same or similar problems I came across.

The prop is based upon the BS1 so the manual helped me delve into the inner workings to see how the programs do what they do.  I like tinkering and taking things apart for the fun of it and seeing how many screws are left when everything is put back together.

livinlowe

I find alot of help in reading the programs that Jon and others write. But Jon is right, I learned the most by doing my projects.
Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!