May 12, 2024, 05:52:11 AM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Documentation for latest version RC-4 ?

Started by mmahrle, October 18, 2011, 02:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmahrle

Hi,

I have a project that is using a Prop-2 and RC-4 with the RC-4 powered from the Prop-2.  My client decided to expand and build 3 more units.  Well, the new version of the RC-4 is set up to use external power.  That's a problem since I'm working with some major space constraints.

I read in a post somewhere (that I can't seem to find now) that it's possible to use the internal power setup as before by cutting a jumper on the back side of the board.  There's a small patch on the back side with no solder mask on it so I'm guessing that's where the jumper is, but I'd sure like to know I'm cutting in the right place.  Is there any documentation out there for the new board.  Everything I can find on the site seems to be for the older version of the board.

livinlowe

Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

livinlowe

Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

JonnyMac

You're right, we haven't published that "hack" because we were  nervous about the wrong people applying it and doing damage to their boards.  Call us at the tech support number and we'll walk you through.  You'll need a Dremel (or similar tool) and a soldering iron.

The reason we updated the RC-4 the way we did is that we have a lot of customers that re-purpose the board  for stand-alone use; we've made it easier by adding local power and the programming header (for an SX-Key or Blitz).
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

mmahrle

Thanks, both of you, for your replies.  I will call tech support.