May 11, 2024, 11:21:24 AM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Question about the Opto 22 DC60MP DC Output Solid State Relay adn RC-4

Started by youngti, October 11, 2012, 06:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngti

I was wondering if using the Opto DC relays you could use two of them to switch a DC motors direction?  Say channel 1 for forward and channel 2 for backward.

Using a Prop1 and a RC-4 to say tun on the motor forward for a certain amount of time then turn is off.  Pause and then turn on reverse for same mount and the turn off.  Reset and be ready to go again.  There is a controller on the market that says it will do this but I already have the prop1 and two or three unused RC-4's so 25 buck for two relays would be better than the $80 for the controller.  (plus it's not EFX-TEK)  ;)

JonnyMac

To do a half-bridge you need opposing transistors -- using two of the same relays you would not have that.

If you just on-off/direction control you can do it with a couple low-cost mechanical relays and two outputs. In the diagram below OUT0 controls motor on/off, OUT1 controls direction.

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JonnyMac

BTW, you should set OUT1 to the direction first, then, activate OUT0 to turn it on. Not a great idea (without speed control) to switch direction while the motor is running.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

youngti

My idea was to use a limit switch to stop the motor and then change direction and start it again.

bsnut

Quote from: youngti on October 13, 2012, 07:31:50 PM
My idea was to use a limit switch to stop the motor and then change direction and start it again.
That's fine. Are you going to have the limit switches connected to your controller? 
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

youngti

JackMan

You could also do this with just 2 DPDT relays and no limit switchs if you can get the timing nailed down.