May 18, 2024, 03:11:23 AM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

Keen Show

Started by KeenDesignsInc, July 13, 2012, 11:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeenDesignsInc

July 13, 2012, 11:22:18 AM Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 12:05:41 PM by KeenDesignsInc
Hello!

I've attached a layout of the show we're looking to do for John to look over and give us back a rough show to work with.

Thank you in advanced!

edit: The first two channels on this control valves which inflate airbags. For simplicity on the PDF, I have the valves shutting off and on every second, but for the actual show the valves will need to switch from 0 to 255 every 0.3 seconds.

JonnyMac

Quotewe're looking to do for John to look over

We ask in our forum guidelines that you not call our Jon (Hollywood) or John (TN) by name -- sometimes this prevents others, with very valuable information, from chiming in. Please allow everyone to help you.

Question: Did you happen to order a uSD adapter for your HC-8+?  If not, I suggest you call the sales # (916-770-9244) and order one (part number is #99002, $14.95). The reason is that as I look at your desired sequence it looks like it could have been generated by a show controller. We happen to work with a show controller called Vixen that could generate the data (you could even test this from Vixen.  Once you're happy with Vixen you can pop the exported data (we have a utility) onto a microSD card that can be read by the HC-8+. This would allow you to create multiple shows that could be run randomly so that repeat riders don't quite know what to expect.

Finally, in your actions, what does "LR" stand for?
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

KeenDesignsInc

Yes we have the SD card as well.

I took "LR" to mean random value from the PDF support where LR is called out as "Randomized individual channel levels"

I've never used Vixen before, is it available for download off of the Propeller website as well?

KeenDesignsInc

July 14, 2012, 11:42:02 AM #3 Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 11:53:10 AM by KeenDesignsInc
I've found and installed vixen. I also saw on a thread currently below this one that we're able to load a show created in vixen onto a microSD card which will play thru the HC-8 controller.

Is there an add-on that is needed to export from the vixen program to the SD card...? I didn't see anything linked in the other thread, and I don't see anything specifically on vixen's download page that says it will do this....

edit: there also seems to be four different "sequences" one can create in vixen. I assume these sequences are the shows I am going to create, if that's the case which one would be the one I need to use for the HC-8?

edit2: Attaching plug-in screen shot. I'm just trying to figure out vixen while waiting for further instructions. Creating a profile and this is the "output plug-in" option, which I assume is what will tell this show to go to the SD card, and then control the HC-8? I assume this step is paramount in making sure the show I create will be exported correctly. Is this correct?

JonnyMac

July 15, 2012, 12:22:40 PM #4 Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 07:01:22 PM by JonnyMac
I only have a bit of time today, but this will be enough to get you working on your show.

First. Make sure that you installed Vixen 2.1.x.x, shut it down, and then update the drivers per this page:
-- http://www.efx-tek.com/php/smf/index.php?topic=1917.msg11344#msg11344

These are updates the KC has released to us but not yet posted on his web site.

We will break your project into two phases: the first will allow you to setup a show in Vixen and stream it through the HC-8+. To that you will open the sequence (I've created a starter sequence for you) and connect the Generic Serial output driver to it at 57.6K baud.  I've attached screen shot. Simply move left-to-right across the screen; you'll see that it's pretty easy.  Note, though that you will probably not have the same COMx port as me.

Load the attached (partially filled-in) Vixen sequence into Vixen and finish it. Note that I re-organized the channels from your document as to move the motor control to OUT7 (for the reasons we discussed on the phone.

I have attached ZIP with the stream program that adds the motor control driver on OUT7. It will take 0..255 values from Vixen and convert them into speed. Unzip the show streamer program and load it into your HC-8+ (with F11 so the EEPROM is updated).

For the time being just learn Vixen by experimenting with the buttons.  You'll see in the sequence that I ramp the lights and motor outputs; these don't have to be on-off only.  The lights on the HC-8+ will show you the state of the output when Vixen is playing.  I have tested this and now it works on my side.

Once you're happy with a show, we'll export it and I'll create a show player (not today, though). 

One comment: I have created elevator sims in the past and it seems to me that you would want to have a door open show and then your normal show.  The reason you want to separate them is so that you can start the normal show when everyone is ready.  Also, in the show player, I will create an emergency stop input that will stop the show and kill all outputs in the event of a problem.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JonnyMac

Any progress on your end?
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office