May 18, 2024, 12:04:14 PM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Cauldron Skeleton

Started by youngti, September 26, 2012, 03:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackMan

Just thought I'd mention, be careful with that 7v power supply, you're approaching dangerous voltage for most servos.

JonnyMac

QuoteI have the servos connedted to a 7v 1.2Amp power supply.

1.2A is not a lot of current for servos. While at Parallax we did tests that show a standard servo -- when under load -- can draw nearly 0.5A by itself. One servo. Amps matter more than volts.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

youngti

Thanks that is what I have been reading.  Anyway the servos no longer go into what I call a reset mode where the servos will just sit there after playing once and then just jerk a little.  I just want to be ale to trigger the second show now.  Oh and get the led's to light with the spoken words. 

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

JackMan

I didn't realize you were powering multiple servos with that 1.2A supply. I agree with Jon, it's probably not enough. While having enough current available is important, voltage that is too high can cause servo damage or at the very least make them jittery. Ususally at around 7.5 volts this will become apparent.

youngti

Okay if I need to I can split the servos up.  I have two of the 7v and two 6v.

But what I really need help with it getting the second show to trigger.  Right now it is only playing the first show over and over again (servos seem to work fine).  I have used two different pir's and still will not trigger the second show. 

Once I have that fixed then I can work more on the servos and seeing if I need to split them up between two power supply's.

Later I will make up a hand trigger and see it I can trigger but I am not sure this will work.  I think there is something in the code but I can't tell what it is.

Again any help is appreciated.

JonnyMac

I uploaded fresh show streamer and player code a couple weeks ago. Are you using that?
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

youngti

No, I will try that.  I just download that and add it to the library and when I compile it will pick it up?

youngti

Okay so even after using the update files it will only plays the first file and ignore any other input from the PIR.  I was looking through the code and I can see where it plays the first show and checks for the PIR and if it is active.  But I don't see where it runs the second program if the PIR gets triggered.

JonnyMac

Let me ask as this started a long time ago... were you originally using our standard software or did I do something custom for you? If the latter, please tell me the name of the file I sent you.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

youngti

October 14, 2013, 10:51:13 AM #69 Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 11:22:50 AM by youngti
Yes you created this for me, you sent me a file in post 3, the last post on that page. Which was a new version of the orgianal file you posted for me.

hc-8+_cauldron_v3.spin

And so you don't have to look at the first post this is the description of what I am trying to do.

Planned operation;
Prop at rest, LED eyes light, prop mutters and moves head around while stirring cauldron (cauldron motor is not hooked up to prop controller)

After activation;
Prop looks up then right, starts speaking to the TOT's and head moves back and forth "looking around".  Once done speaking a short 2 to 4 second delay and then it starts the first at rest show.

How I plan to hook devices up to HC-8+;

Pin setup
   TTL out0 = Left/Right servo
   TTL out1 = Jaw servo
   TTL out2 = Nod servo
   TTL out3 = Head Tilt servo

TTL out4 = LED eyes, state is either on or off.
   TTL input0 = PIR

DMX set to 1,2,4,8 on for 180 degree servos
Use the EFX-TEK uSD adapter and code
    vixen00.bin &  vixen01.bin on card and set for programed movements using the VEX.

Use AP-16= for sound connected to the serial pins
  SFX00.wav and SFX01.wav the only files on the card.

JonnyMac

I found version 3 on my computer and can see no reason why it should not start the main file. One thing I did find is a note saying it was monitoring IN1 when it's actually monitoring IN0.

I made a couple clean-ups to the attached file, but nothing that changes the behavior. Everyone knows my abject hate for PIRs, especially in testing. Please grab one of our WRB cables, cut off one end, then solder a normally open push-button between the red and white wires. Push the connector onto IN0 and give it a go. If this works, smash the PIR into a million pieces and replace it with a mat switch.  :D
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

youngti

Thank you I will try this tonight when I get home.

youngti

okay so no joy.  I verified that the switch is working correctly.  Ohms are at 0 when touching both poles with out activating and show higher when pushed.  I have checked and both set of files are on the cards.  In the AP16 SFX00 and SFX01 and in the HC8 VIXEN00.bin and VIXEN01.bin.  I tried renaming the bin files and swapping the shows (vixen01 to vixen00).  The servos play the second show after the rename but the audio is the first one.  I though maybe the files are damaged so I used ones from my backups.  Same thing.

I have the song selector switch at the 0 and the ambient off.

any thoughts?

JonnyMac

Please ZIP up your show and audio files and attach them so I can try on my side.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

youngti

I uploaded the files but the post isn't showing