May 18, 2024, 09:43:07 AM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

Cauldron Skeleton

Started by youngti, September 26, 2012, 03:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngti

I appreciate the help but the problem is it works right for Jonny and not for me.  Here is how I have it hooked up.  I've attached a picture.

On HC8
DMX address switch 16 to 256 all off, all others on
Option select switch and header all off
SD card adapter installed on Option select header with vixen00 and vixen01 bins
TTL Out 0 swivel
TTL Out 1 Jaw
TTL Out 2 Nod
TTL Out 3 Tilt
TTL Out 4 LED Eyes (not programed yet)

All servos are connected by signal wire only and the red and black connected to a 7v 1.2 amp wall wart

Trace on board had been cut originally and not re attached for TTL outs

IN 0 PIR( I have tried 0 through 7 changing this line in program,  if (ttl_pin == 0))

AP16 connect from TTL Serial to HC8 TTL serial

AP16
Option switches BR on all others off
Audio select switch at 0
SD card inserted and SFX00 and SFX01.wav on card

it will play the first bin and correct song.  Will not trigger to play the second either with PIR or NO switch.

youngti

just put in the new HC8......IT WORKS!  so I have two HC*'s both bad.  I probably did something to them.  I think I will never cut the trace again.

JonnyMac

Congrats!

After the Halloween crush you should contact the main office so that you can get those boards repaired.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

youngti

So I know you spent a lot of time with this and I really appreciate all your help.  It has been more than a year trying to get this to work and now it does.

Thank you so much

livinlowe

Its good to know you got it working!
Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

youngti

okay so I know you have given me a lot of help.  But I need some advice.  This morning I tested it again and now the servos are jittering.  I have them on a separate 7v 1.2amp power supply.  Only the signal is connected to the HC8.  It was working great, I tried to put them on a 6v, 2amp to see if maybe the 7v was too much,  But it was worse.  Wondering if this is a power issue or interference.   thinking of splitting the 4 servos into two groups and putting them on separate 7v 1.2amp supplies.

Any suggestions?

JonnyMac

Again, 1.2A is not cutting it. Servos routinely draw more than a half amp each. Voltage is less important than current. If you can find a 6V, 5A supply you would be better off.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

youngti

thank you.  Now to search for one that I can fine today or tomorrow.  Do you think it would help if I split the four servos onto two 6v, 2amp?  That way each would be getting 1 amp each.

JonnyMac

Chances are that they're not all drawing max amperage at the same time. If you can find a 5-7 volt, 2A supply, give it a go.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JackMan

Just curious, are the servo power supplies you are using/testing regulated? Typically voltage that is too high will cause jittery servos.

livinlowe

Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

youngti

how can you tell regulated vs not?

bsnut

Congrats is in order.
Quote from: youngti on October 29, 2013, 01:32:13 PM
how can you tell regulated vs not?
It would say it "Switching" or "Regulated on the power supply itself.

BTW, can you tell us or post a photo of what trace you mistakenly cut so other forum members don't make the same mistake you made
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

JackMan

Quotehow can you tell regulated vs not?

They're not always labeled. If you're not sure, the only real way to tell is to check the voltage output with a meter without a load. If it's not regulated, the voltage output will be substantially higher than the rating. A non-regulated power supply will output the rated voltage when the load is equal to the rated mA on the power supply. A load larger than the rated mA's will drop the voltage output below the voltage rating and in turn, if the load is less than the rated mA's, the voltage will be higher.

youngti

hi all.  I have a question and maybe you guys can help.  This prop has been up and running for a couple of seasons.  It starts to work great, does everything that I wanted.  But a few hours into the night I notice that it is acting tired.  What I mean is it is still working but the head and jaw barely move.  I have the servos on a separate 7 volt 2 or 3 amp power supply form the HC8+.  I checked the servos when this was happening and they were not hot, so I am not sure where to go with this. 

Any suggestions?  is it possible there is some regression in the code?  looking at it myself I cant see anything in the code that would cause it but I am far from an expert.  I was originally thinking that maybe the servos were getting overloaded but I would think then they would be hot.