May 18, 2024, 03:11:34 AM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Clarification on this system

Started by spookylake, May 04, 2013, 07:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spookylake

Here is what i would like to do:
-  use the HC-8+ as a program source utilizing the microSD card add-on
-  use the AP-16 audio Player for the many songs
-  program the show using Brookshire VSA

I want to control multiple 12VDC LED lights and multiple servos. The pumpkin show I have in mind will utilize 12 servos and 16 individulally controlled 12VDC LED's (8 LED controlls if i use a NO/NC relay)

Here are the basic questions:
What outputs will the HC-8+ board have? (non-DMX)
Can i utilize a Lynxmotion SSC-32 for servo control from the HC-8+
I need up to around 16 12VDC outputs for LED's.  Should i connect the HC-8+ to a Prop-1 and DC-16 in order to have servo and 12VDC outputs controls?
I want to use the single Lynxmotion SSC-32 but the relay output will only trigger a 3VDC relay.  my system currently uses 5VDC relays.  I can always get 3vdc relays but i don't have them in stock.  RC relays are just too expensive when using 8 to 16 of them.  the cost just gets out of hand quick.

Basically, i have a pumpkin show that has up to 8 pumpkins, each pumpkin has 2 LED lights and one servo.  I also use 3 axis skulls which use 4 servos each.

there is a video at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqfPpJIXaNQ

i may also do the coffin show also for the added memory capability and better servo movements:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZC524QWPQY

Thanks to everyone

bsnut

May 06, 2013, 12:12:10 AM #1 Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 11:43:53 AM by bsnut
Thank you for posting another interesting project to the forums
QuoteHere is what i would like to do:
-  use the HC-8+ as a program source utilizing the microSD card add-on
-  use the AP-16 audio Player for the many songs
-  program the show using Brookshire VSA
Every bit doable for the HC-8+ since it as the processing power of the Propeller chip to handle the task that you want it to do. So, let me answer your questions for you.
QuoteWhat outputs will the HC-8+ board have? (non-DMX)
The HC-8+ has 8 2amp outputs and also connected in parallel are TTL .100 header pins as well to connect servos and other 5vdc outputs using servo cables
QuoteCan i utilize a Lynxmotion SSC-32 for servo control from the HC-8+
This will present challenge from what I noticed when I looked user manual with sending commands from the HC-8+ to Lynxmotion SSC-32 board and will let Jon see what he thinks if it can be pull off in Spin code that Propeller is programmed in.
QuoteI need up to around 16 12VDC outputs for LED's.  Should i connect the HC-8+ to a Prop-1 and DC-16 in order to have servo and 12VDC outputs controls?
The great thing about the HC-8+ is that is it either hackable or you can run it as it comes you from EFX-TEK like a I/O expander, since it now replaces the DC-16.

Now, if you have the DC-16 then it can be used with the hacked HC-8+ running your VSA show or if you don't have DC-16 you can use the HC-8+ as an expander to handle the work that the DC-16 was going to do (connected to the hacked HC-8+).

Now, in order to pull off this show
Basically, i have a pumpkin show that has up to 8 pumpkins, each pumpkin has 2 LED lights and one servo.  I also use 3 axis skulls which use 4 servos each.
this is what think you need to have to make your project to work.

1 - HC-8+ hacked running your VSA program from the SD card and 8 LEDs
1 - HC-8+ not hacked as a I/O expander and handling the rest of 8 LEDs (to make up the 16) 
Your Lynxmotion SSC-32 for servo control for handling the 3 axis skulls.

William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

JonnyMac

It's doable but not easy. My preference would have you use one HC-8+ as the master and others as slaves to run local servos or LEDs (slaves connect to master via RS-458 link). Having to send messages to the SSC-32 makes things a little tough as it's a long-winded protocol.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

spookylake

OK, question of the week,:

When you hack the HC-8+ what outputs do you have and how many?

Can you connect up a Prop-1 to the hacked HC-8+ easier or any of the Parrallax servo controllers?

I have 3 prop1's, two SSC-32's, one DC-16, one parallax servo controller and two PicoPic's that i can utilize.......

bsnut

May 09, 2013, 01:41:52 PM #4 Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 01:48:30 PM by bsnut
OK, I am will answer your "Question of the week" , since we get a lot of them on the forums.
QuoteWhen you hack the HC-8+ what outputs do you have and how many?
You have them all...you don't loss any of them. When you "hack" the HC-8+ all you are doing is erasing what program is already on the Propeller chip and putting your on program on it. That's it. That's what makes the HC-8+ a great product for you.

I am going to skip this question
QuoteCan you connect up a Prop-1 to the hacked HC-8+ easier or any of the Parrallax servo controllers?
because I will cover it with this one and there is really no need to setup your show this way.
I have 3 prop1's, two SSC-32's, one DC-16, one parallax servo controller and two PicoPic's that i can utilize.......
The good news for you is we can use the your DC-16 and the one parallax servo controller with the "hacked" HC-8+ acting as the master to handle your show for you, since they are easy to work with, due that we have the spin code methods for them. We thank to Jon for creating them for us to use. 
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

JonnyMac

Hacked or otherwise, the HC-8+ has this IO map

* 8 outputs; both att TTL (5v, 10mA) and high-current (Vin, 1A) levels -- HC outputs driven by external power supply
* 8 TTL inputs
* 9-bit DMX-compatible DIP switch
* 4-bit configuration switch (advanced users can grab these bits via the option header)
* RS-485 IO port for communications with computers and other RS-458 compatible devices
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office