May 18, 2024, 03:11:15 AM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Using Vixen with HC-8

Started by needcrew, March 29, 2014, 01:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackMan

Well, jaw syncing by programming is time consuming, no way around it. The amount of time the jaw is open for each syllable depends on your audio. The amount of servo travel for each syllable also depends on the audio. To get the most realistic jaw sync you need to do each syllable one at a time. There is a much easier way, use one of my Audio Servo Controllers for the jaw, no programming required!

JonnyMac

Sorry I'm so late to the conversation guys -- was at Monsterpalooza all weekend. That said, it looks like Jack -- who has used the system in actual product -- has provided great guidance.

On mouth sync. I'm with Jack: it's not easy to do well. Jack does have a great little board for those that don't want to go through the process. If you do, here's a tip from my friend Peter, who has a really cool, fully custom-built system. You can see his work at www.socalhalloween.com.

The key, as Jack pointed out, is to find the beginning of each syllable and then open the mouth (fast). Then create a ramp that closes the mouth (slowly). The great thing about Vixen is that you can copy-and-paste this ramp at the beginning of each syllable. In many cases, the mouth won't fully close before it gets opened again. The opening movement on the start of the syllable creates amazingly realistic motion. Remember, a talking skull doesn't have lips or other elements we humans use to discern sound/motion sync (which is why we can tell when a movie has been dubbed from one language to another).

It takes patience, but the payoff is worth it.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office