May 04, 2024, 04:40:43 PM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

List of I2C Devices that Work with HC-8+ Programming/Boot Process

Started by JonnyMac, May 14, 2016, 10:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonnyMac

The purpose of this thread is to provide a list (with demo code) of I2C displays/devices that allow the Propeller EEPROM to be programmed while the device is connected; when this is true the HC-8+ should boot from power-up as well.

As mentioned, not all I2C devices can operate at the speed the Propeller boot loader accesses the default EEPROM which can lead to problems during programming and power-up.

In general, if the display/device uses a known I2C chip versus a processor that allows for multi-mode communications, it should be fine.

All members are encouraged to contribute to this list in the form of demonstration code for a specific device. Please keep the general conversation vis-a-vis I2C in the other thread.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JonnyMac

I have purchased these modules from Amazon many times; the trick is that they can use the PCF8574 or PCF8574A which have different slave IDs (both are general purpose IO chips). The LCD object allows for either device to be connected.

Example device:
-- http://www.amazon.com/Frentaly%C2%AE-Backlight-Arduino-MEGA2560-letters/dp/B0182N00LU

Thankfully, most vendors of PCF8574x backpacks are using the same circuit, so it's easy to find a display that will work with the attached code.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JonnyMac

May 14, 2016, 10:42:20 AM #2 Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 08:49:29 PM by JonnyMac
Like the PCF8574x, the MCP23008 is a general purpose IO device that works just fine on the Propeller EEPROM buss.

Example device:
-- https://www.adafruit.com/products/292

Note that while this is a multi-mode (I2C/SPI) device, it uses separate [native] chips for each process which allows I2C access compatible with the Propeller EEPROM buss.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office