May 04, 2024, 06:30:09 PM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Programming the HC-8+ (and other products) in BASIC

Started by JonnyMac, July 19, 2016, 03:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonnyMac

There are many of you who like BASIC -- you know who you are! After several fits and starts over the years, it seems that PropBASIC (Propeller BASIC) has finally found a IDE that works. The IDE is the cross-platform PropellerIDE that Parallax developed for Spin programming. It works on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

The latest version -- which is BETA -- integrates PropBASIC. You don't even have to think about it; it just works.

I love working with Spin and it's second nature to me. Still, I taught myself BASIC first, and I still have a love for it. I will be exploring PropBASIC when hacking the HC-8+!

Link to installers: http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/164708/new-release-propelleride-propbasic-fun-times

Here's a screen shot from my system:

JonnyMac

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JackMan

Sweet! I never took the time to learn SPIN so this sounds great.

JonnyMac

It's more involved than PBASIC to be sure, but does let you unleash the power of the Propeller in a familiar language.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

bsnut

I guess that this PropBASIC is still using the Brad Spin Tool (Propeller IDE).
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

JonnyMac

The IDE is called PropellerIDE -- this is being developed as a cross-platform replacement for Propeller Tool. There are Windows, Mac, and Linux versions which means you can program on anything (some have even put versions on the Raspberry Pi). The compiler underneath is BSTC. The reason for this is that BSTC includes an advanced pre-processor feature (@@@) which PropBASIC takes advantage of (this allows LMM programs).

So... the IDE is new, the back-end compiler is one that has been around for a long time and works well.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

hover1

Yes, a long awaited, supported, IDE for PropBasic.

Good times are ahead!