May 20, 2024, 01:09:56 PM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Prop- SX Controller and Vista

Started by Meyers Madness, February 16, 2009, 05:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meyers Madness

February 16, 2009, 05:09:01 PM Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 07:09:03 PM by Meyers Madness
Hi,
New to the EFX-Tek controllers and looking for a little help. I have purchased a SX- Controller and will be using it for a 3 axis skull, I am building. I have installed Brookshires VSA and I noticed that I need to download a file from Parallax called SX-Key IDE. Is this compatible with Vista? I am asuming that this allows the contoller to communicate with VSA? Not sure! If any of you could school me on this guy, I would really appreciate your time. I have read through the Prop-2 programming basics but I did'nt learn much. I also read through the Prop-Sx Controller file, picked up a few key points. I am better with hands on.
Thanks

JonnyMac

John and I use XP but I know of others that are in fact using Vista.

Download and study this document; it will help you get the SX-Key IDE installed and get you started with SX/B (the language we use in our Prop-SX projects and SX-based products):
-- http://forums.parallax.com/forums/attach.aspx?a=15477

See the Library section of the forum for programs you can install in the Prop-SX that will make it VSA-compatible.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

livinlowe

I program my SX's in Vista. Works fine.
Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

livinlowe

Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

JonnyMac

One should always start with the manufacturer for product questions -- VSA is produced by Brookshire Software.  According to this page, they do support Vista:

-- http://www.brookshiresoftware.com/vsa_systemrequirements.htm
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Meyers Madness

Quote from: JonnyMac on February 17, 2009, 11:45:11 AM
One should always start with the manufacturer for product questions -- VSA is produced by Brookshire Software.  According to this page, they do support Vista:

-- http://www.brookshiresoftware.com/vsa_systemrequirements.htm
[/quote

Well, I am making progress, I think.

1st. I downloaded SX-Key Software
2nd. Then downloaded from the library section,
Prop-Sx servos plus 8 digital outs with VSA
Found the two downloads at the bottom of the scene.

RosehallManor

I too am learning and I guess trying to find the best solution.  I really like the way VSA is somewhat programming for dumbies friendly. I think.  What i'm hoping to find out is whether the prop-sx will take the programming from VSA and run it without being connected to a computer.  Is this possible?  If so can the event still be triggerred? 

Will you be at Hauntcon in Milwaukee this year? 

JonnyMac

We're working on a method to take a short VSA show and convert it so that it will run (yes, it will be triggered) in the Prop-SX.  That said, this is a little advanced and not a clean-and-easy "for Dummies" kind of application.  The Prop-SX is a sophisticated beast and allows us to do really cool things, but we have to know how to work with it to take advantage.

Yes, we will be at HauntCon.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office