May 15, 2024, 06:10:39 PM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Tiki God controlled by Prop-1.

Started by clinefx1, May 29, 2007, 07:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clinefx1

This is a project I built in my spare time.  It is a Tiki God which hangs on the wall and is the first thing you are faced with when you enter my apartment.  When triggered drums sound, led spot lights illuminate and his mouth moves.  I have future plans to sync up his mouth with a voice track.  It runs off a Prop-1, AP-8 and an RC-4. This was pre-Prop-2 so I also have plans to upgrade.

-Chris

Tim-M

Nice work Chris.  I think I speak for quite a few of us when I say that it would be great to see a video clip of this in action.  It's hard to tell from the photo... is the mouth mechanical, LCD, projected or something other?

Tim

clinefx1

The mouth (teeth) is strictly mechanical.  Full open or completely shut, kind of like a nut cracker statue.  I used a automotive door lock actuator sistered with a few springs. I did this because I wanted to stay air free.  To be honest I'm not happy with the mouth mechanics and I plan on rebuilding it.  I may use a liner actuator, haven't decided.  I'm going to hold off on a video until I upgrade the controller and mouth system. Thanks for the complements.

-Chris 

Tim-M

Thanks for telling us more about this project, Chris.  I think you should shoot some video for comparison purposes for when your final version is completed, even if you don't put it up for us... that's just my two bits.  Did you build the mask also, or was that a purchase?  It's a very creative project.

Tim

clinefx1

The Tiki god measures about 8" x 2' x 4'.  I carved it from a block of dense craft foam from Foam Mart in Burbank, CA.  After that I hard coated it using a combination of fiberglass and water putty. 

- Chris

Tim-M

Even more impressive that you built from scratch... that puts a whole new spin on the whole project.  Do you earn a living doing this type of work Chris?

Tim

clinefx1

June 04, 2007, 12:17:20 AM #6 Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 01:23:48 PM by clinefx1
Tim-

I do physical special effects in the entertainment industry, but this was only my second attempt at carving foam. 

-Chris