May 14, 2024, 09:13:05 PM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Fireflies

Started by Bill P, April 14, 2007, 01:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill P

I took Jon?s advice and got a handful of grain-of-wheat bulbs from Radio Shack (272-1140), 6v @25mA.  Then I had to figure out how to display them.  I figured since I had 8 bulbs, I should make some kind of octagon prop.  Used 1/16? brass tubing from the model train store and a small piece of brass to solder them to.  I used 30ga wire-wrap wire.  I ran one lead of the bulb through the tube and soldered the other to the tube, all the wires are connected to the Prop-1 out-0 to out-7, a wire from V+ is connected to the brass plate holding the tubes.  The prop is run on 4-AA batteries (holder from a Parallax Boe-bot kit).  All the wires are a different length from 9? to 36? spaced randomly on the ?spider?.  I hung it from the umbrella on the patio.  At night it really looks like fireflies hovering and flashing.  I could not get any night shots because the lights are too dim and too quick. 

Bill P

Photos will not attach and become part of the message.  Any help out there? All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Bill

JonnyMac

You can link to your files if they're hosted somewhere else -- Vern Grainer does this all the time.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Bill P

Mechanically & electonically I can grasp what is going on, but when it comes to the internet and how to send photos to a hosted web site for sharing, I am totally at a loss.  I guess it must be a senior moment thing, so I really need help with this.

Bill Plano

JonnyMac

You can use a hosting service like PhotoBucket.com to share your photos, then post a link to them.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JonnyMac

Perhaps your camera has a manual setting that will let you do a long exposure and you can catch the fireflies in action.  There's a very cool haunt in Santa Monica, CA called "The House of Restless Spirits" that uses the Prop-1 for their fireflies and they really look great.  With long, thin wires a very small breeze will move them.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Liam

Fireflies are such a cool effect, and your solution looks quite impressive, Bill.

I might add that I was at Rocky Point last month, and they use LEDs hung off of a very small CPU fan hanging from another wire to blow the fireflies around. Again, this could easily be controlled with a Prop-1 to make them turn on and off. Just another option to consider.

Liam