April 29, 2024, 11:24:12 PM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

ump3 Firmware upgrade

Started by davisgraveyard, September 17, 2009, 10:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisgraveyard

September 17, 2009, 10:35:47 AM Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 10:37:37 AM by davisgraveyard
In light of your recent post about the AP-16 and the recomendation that this board is one option you can go with I was wondering if you could post some information about the firmware upgrade for this board that uses a configuration text file that you talked about with me off-line.  I think anyone that wants to use this audio board might be interested in knowing how to get the upgrade and what the text file does for them.

Jeff

JonnyMac

The file you need to upgrade to the new beta software is here:
-- http://www.roguerobotics.com/products/electronics/ump3/beta

Among many nice upgrades is the ability to put the configuration file onto the SD card; this is a simple text file called UMP3.CFG and must be stored in the root of the SD card.  To use serial mode for the Prop-1 I believe these are the only settings needed in the file (file is attached - remove the .txt extension when saving on your computer):

D5
R1
S0

D5 - set baud rate to 2400
R1 - set response delay to 10ms (needed to let SERIN get ready)
S0 - no switches monitored (serial control)

For the Prop-2/SX you will change D5 to D2 for 38.4K baud.

Please keep in mind that this is beta software and this product is not manufactured or supported by EFX-TEK.  We like the uMP3 and have used it in custom projects.  We have a good relationship with Rogue.  That said, it is up to you to follow their instructions for updating your uMP3 player (it's easy, even an actor can do it!).

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

BigRez

Been talking with Brett at Rogue about the new card and specifically the firmware which he is writing...  There will be a few new features not found in the existing uMP3.  But, I've also given him some other suggestions that hopefully they can include:

1) Setup: define default extension: Allow us to define the default file extension.  For example, we could define .mp3 as the default and then wouldn't have to include that in the play command.

2) Command stacking: be able to combine multiple play commands into one string such as:  PC F /path V # # O 10    (Play file at /path, set right and left volume, set looping to 10.)

3) Allow play count and volume at the file level: PC F /path [num [left/both
]:  num indicates the play/loop count and left/both and right define the volume for this command only.

4) Allow playlists: Be able to create a playlist file (or files) on the card which specifies the files to play. Playlist is a text file of files and optional loop count and volume.

5) Random play: Play at random any/all file(s) in a directory or playlist.