April 27, 2024, 03:52:40 PM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Crazy idea for a flicker candle

Started by davisgraveyard, November 19, 2009, 01:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisgraveyard

I just read today that one of the astronauts on the space station celebrated their birthday today but can't blow out her candles until she goes home because flames are not allowed on the space station.

Someone needs to make a digital candle that triggers to be shut off when you blow on it and get NASA to bring it to the space station for birthdays!

Press a button to light the candle and then have a senstive switch connected to the bulb that will trigger the led's to go off.  Sounds like a great idea for a prop controller!

Jeff

JonnyMac

John Barrowman has done such a thing using a "vibratab" sensor.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

davisgraveyard

Because sometimes you need high performance low profile steel treaded wheels.

I was thinking birthday candle sized. 

JonnyMac

...and this crowd tends not to purchase ornaments from the Spirit store -- or, if it does, take said products home for some heavy modification.  Part of the fun of what we do is customizing.  Off-the-shelf is for weenies!  ;D
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

BigRez

The price is good enough to want to get one of those blow-out candles and perhaps hack it to work as you need.  If anything, it may provide just the sensor you need.  ;)

menehune

I've got one of these "taper" style candles at home.  Runs off a AA battery.  Maybe it can be gutted and the LED element mounted onto an opaque glue stick to simulate a birthday cake candle.
http://www.ledtealights.net/Light-Gold-LED-Candlestick-10-Inches-Tall_p_23.html

fritz42_male

Quote from: bigrez on November 23, 2009, 05:31:12 PM
The price is good enough to want to get one of those blow-out candles and perhaps hack it to work as you need.  If anything, it may provide just the sensor you need.  ;)

That's what I was thinking. Perhaps chop off the existing LED and wire in a decent FET or Triac to drive something bigger.

Half the fun in what I do is buying cheap stuff and hacking it.