April 29, 2024, 09:48:00 PM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Correct Part numbers for uMP3 connections

Started by BigRez, September 28, 2009, 05:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigRez

From a prior post in http://www.efx-tek.com/php/smf/index.php?topic=255.0, part numbers for building the cable are listed as:
QuotePart numbers edited: 26 JAN 2008

#100766    female crimp pin
#108812    2-pin shell
#157382    3-pin shell
#159266    crimper tool

Just got a uMP3 today and was going to get the above parts but noticed the #108812 should be #100812, and the #157382 should be #157383, correct?

My real question though is that on the uMP3 I just received, there are no male pins coming off the board and would need to get those as well.  Is the correct part number for those 2076800 (or right-angle version 153728) ?  While we're at it, I'd like to verify the numbers for JP3 as well.  I would think JP3 could use the same as the prop connector (109575) or get just the 103393 (and break it into 7/3) for both.

Should double-row male headers be needed for the input area (JP2) ? 

JonnyMac

What I would suggest is that you get a couple of our 14" cables instead of building your own.  You can release the female socket from the shell with a pin and then cover it with 3/32" heat shrink tubing.  It's a cheap and easy solution; no special tools or soldering required.

For male pin headers I tend to buy Mouser #517-6111TG -- this is a 40-pin single row male header (vertical).  One of these will give you enough pins for all the headers you need on the board. 

You could also put these pins into JP3 but most will plug powered speakers into the 1/8" jack.  If you wanted to add RCA outputs you could make cables (again, use one of our 14" cables that plugs into JP3).
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

livinlowe

Bigrez-
Thanks for starting this thread. My uMP3 came in the mail yesterday as well. Great tip Jon- I have been struggling making cables for the Vmusic player I have. Using the 14" cables will be much easier!
Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

JonnyMac

On my setup I use the white, red, and black on one cable, and just the white on the second; the second has the red and black wires cut off -- this white wire goes to TX on the uMP3 (RX on the Prop-1).  Once everything is assembled I used 1/4 heat shirk to tie the two cables together.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office