April 28, 2024, 03:38:14 PM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Parallax X Band Motion Detector

Started by gadget-evilusions, November 08, 2009, 07:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gadget-evilusions

This sensor from parallax looks promising as a higher end sensor compared to the PIR. https://www.parallax.com/Store/Sensors/AllSensors/tabid/760/CategoryID/46/List/0/SortField/0/catpageindex/4/Level/a/ProductID/606/Default.aspx

I was wondering what the Prop-1 could would be required to operate it. I downloaded the .bs2 but I am not sure how or if it can be operated on a prop-1.

Brian
Evilusions LLC
www.evilusions.com for all your pneumatic components

JonnyMac

Not sure yet - give me a day or so.  My pals at Parallax sent me one as they thought our customers would find them useful.  Once I figure it out I'll post a demo in this thread.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

BigRez

Hey - have your pals at Parallax send us one too... we'll help figure it out.   :D

bsnut

Jon,

I know that little late on this one ;D. Did you get a chance to test it? What type of motion did you test it? What I am looking  for is, to see if works for side to side motion in front of the detector.
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

JonnyMac

Have not had a chance to test it yet -- been very busy design new products for EFX-TEK.  No, I can't say what they are... we'lll unveil (some) at Transworld.

Now... I'm not the only programmer in the lot; if someone else tests it, please post your code for the rest of us to work from.  Parallax may have some demo code, too, though we tend to use the BS1 more than they do!
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

gadget-evilusions

I will order one on Friday and experiment. They do have bs2 code available, which should be able to be translated to bs1.
Brian
Evilusions LLC

gadget-evilusions

So far tests look good. It can easily pick up motion thru the 3/4" wood leafs of my desk. The width of sensing range is fairly small, but distance is good. I will be setting up a few walls at our haunt next week to get some better data. The code from parrallax works fine on a prop-2, I am adapting it to a prop-1 now. I will post my code as soon as I get one that works realiably in the real life set up of our haunted attraction.
Brian
Evilusions LLC

youngti

That does look pretty cool.  And it can go through walls?  Cool.  I read the documentation and the one diagram of the motion shows a person running toward the sensor.  I wonder if it would sense movement across the antenna as well?

gadget-evilusions

It does work with motion crossing the front of the sensor.
Brian
Evilusions LLC

youngti

That is cool, just wish the price was closer to the PIR. :(

bsnut

So, did you try it with motion moving from side to side.
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

gadget-evilusions

I tried it with motion moving from side to side across the sensor face. It works. I am still waiting to get some walls built at our haunt before I finalize my testing and adjustments in the program.
Brian
Evilusions LLC