April 29, 2024, 07:52:00 AM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Pyro ( dont even say it, i know)

Started by stgtech, July 18, 2007, 04:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stgtech

okk first off let me just say that i am well aware of the dangers of pyrotechnics, and ive built multiple completely safe pyro launchers before this and intend to keep it that way. i am the only one that uses my creations and never around other people.

with that being said i want to make a pyro launcher synced to music as my christmas lights are using vixen. this is when i remembered vixen supports prop-2. just a few questions:
1. Can Prop-2 recieve a "live" stream of data from vixen or would i have to use/ download too the internal memory
2. Would Vixen support the Prop-2 along with the DC-16 Output Expander for 32 devices?

Thanks in advance.

JonnyMac

The Prop-2 can receive a live stream but it can't be expanded with the DC-16 in that mode.  Don't worry, though, we are working on a DC-16 driver so that you could run up to 64 channels (four DC-16s) directly from Vixen.  Stay tuned....
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

stgtech

July 18, 2007, 06:23:21 PM #2 Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 08:15:44 PM by stgtech
so in that case i could by the Prop-2 now and then wait for the driver then buy the DC-16? or should i wait for the Prop-SX? your opinion.
oh and how abouts wuld someone go about getting the stream to the prop? would it work with a usb-serial adabter?

JonnyMac

The present driver for the Prop-2 is setup for eight servos and eight digital outputs -- we'd have to make one that is for just 16 digital outputs for your application.  That said, if you just want 16 (or more) digital outputs the DC-16 is a more cost-effective slave.  Connecting to the Prop-2/Prop-SX is easy, just use the DB-9 port.  For the DC-16 one has to create an adapter to go from RS-232 to TTL.  The circuit looks like this:

While I haven't tried, you should be able to plug this circuit into a USB-to-Serial adapter.  It shouldn't be too long for the DC-16 driver; we've got a version now but as I've asked for some advanced features that Vixen doesn't normally support we have a few kinks to work out.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

stgtech

July 19, 2007, 02:25:57 PM #4 Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 02:32:34 PM by stgtech
im sorry, im rather confused  ??? So soon you will be able to run the DC-16 from vixen without the Prop? and the diagram would be for the interface from the DC-16 to the computers serial to the usb adapter? and what do you mean about the DB-9 port? sorry im rather new to all this. Thanks alot for the help youve given so far.
As to your question, yes all im looking for is 16 outputs.

If what your saying is what i think, then soon the DC-16 can be connected to a computer through that serial Rs232 to TTL adapter, by simply plugging it into the 3 pin header normally used to connect to the prop board thus giving 16 live outputs but no memmory as in the prop boards. hence it would have to be run by Vixen to function. Correct?

JonnyMac

Yes, exactly -- sorry I wasn't more clear on that.  Since the DC-16 expects a serial command stream we're writing Vixen drivers that send that stream in real time and in sync with the audio.  We demoed the FC-4 at the Maker Faire and this past weekend at Midwest Haunters Convention using the circuit I describe above.

Once we get the drivers completed I will do a "how to" with photos.  To make that interface takes a little soldering, so if that's not your bag you should find a friend you can do it for you.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

stgtech

Great thank you very much for your quick responses. I understand now. Soilding is no problem. I see what everyone means about the excellant business this is and ive seen for myself. Where should i check so that i may know when the drivers are completed?

JonnyMac

We will post all new EFX drivers in this (Vixen) forum.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

admin

When do you think this will be ready?

JonnyMac

We posted it (the DC-16 driver) back in July -- it's a "sticky" post at the top of this forum:
-- http://www.efx-tek.com/php/smf/index.php?topic=666.0
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office