April 28, 2024, 03:29:41 AM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

JonnyMac's Prop-1 Programming Attack!

Started by JonnyMac, February 04, 2013, 09:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonnyMac

February 04, 2013, 09:33:44 AM Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:02:05 PM by JonnyMac
This sub-forum is for discussion of my book, "JonnyMac's Prop-1 Programming Attack!" General questions may be posted in this forum. I will create separate threads per chapter to keep everything neatly organized. Thanks in advance for your input and patience -- this book has been rattling around in my head for a long time and it's nice to let it out!
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

bsnut

That's great to hear. I will glad to read another good book.
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

JonnyMac

February 12, 2013, 01:58:30 PM #2 Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 10:54:23 AM by JonnyMac
I will create chapter-by-chapter threads for input, but will maintain a single, updated document. That document will be posted in the last-available thread, with a link here for convenience.

JonnyMac's Prop-1 Programming Attack
-- http://www.efx-tek.com/php/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2017.0;attach=851
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

HauntedWolf

Awesome!  Can't wait to see the final product!  Of course I'll be reading as you go too....   
Robert

Haunted Wolf Hollow - http://www.hauntedwolfhollow.com

JonnyMac

And asking questions and making suggestions, too, I hope. Of course, I appreciate any feedback, even the minor typos kind of thing.

The reason I'm doing this online before going to print is that as a guy who has been programming the BS1 for 18+ years, it's easy for me to take things for granted. If there is something I can explain (like Jeff suggesting I explain why the headers are marked WRB) or clarify, please chime in.

The book will be filled with code samples. If you have requests for specific programs or techniques, please ask.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

HauntedWolf

I think a chapter (or appendix?) about servos would be helpful.  That seems to be one of the biggest topics that gets talked about in the Rocky Mountain Haunters group when we talk about controllers.  Some code samples showing servo control would be great.

Along the same lines, practical examples of haunt uses is another ideas.   Things like how to trigger (using PIR vs Pressure Mat vs breaker beam vs button), how to turn on an LED light, servos, firing a pneumatic valve, etc.  Playing music (dare I say VMusic2?)    ;)

Having the programming concepts is great, but some practical examples would take it to another level.  Some simple and some complex....

Not sure if that is the direction you want to go, but I would love it.
Robert

JonnyMac

February 14, 2013, 10:44:41 AM #6 Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 10:52:04 AM by JonnyMac
All of the code concepts will be backed up with practical examples. Lots of them.

As far as using other products... we'll see. At the risk of offending, we've driven a lot of business by recommending other companies that haven't responded in kind. That's fine -- but I don't have to keep recommending companies that would not do the same for John and me, and I certainly don't have to do it in a book with my name on it.

On the VMUSIC: No. It sucks. That company's support system (for VMUSIC) sucks. When I needed assistance with their product (we thought about using the core in our audio player) they blew me off. And then, about a week later, their sales staff had the nerve to call me and ask how many thousand units a year we would be buying. I responded, "Zero!" and then hung up the phone.

If I do my job well those that want to subject themselves to the crap that is VMUSIC will be well-equipped to write the code to do so.  ;)
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

HauntedWolf

I totally agree with you about not promoting specific non-EFX-TEK products, the VMUSIC was a definite tongue-in-cheek comment...I know how much the VMUSIC is a pain to work with.

My other suggestions were simply a off the top of my head posting...generic reference would be great.
Robert

JonnyMac

February 14, 2013, 11:02:32 AM #8 Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 11:04:18 AM by JonnyMac
I was speaking to a publisher about another book like this called "JonnyMac's Propeller Programming Attack!" (it's in process, too). When he asked me about the tone I replied, "Imagine if Ricky Gervais could write a book on embedded programming -- that's the tone I want to take." He smiled and liked the idea.

I will be cheeky, perhaps brash, in my JonnyMac Attacks books, in a deliberate attempt to shake readers out of what can be a thick subject.

After your comment I wondered, what should I call the chapter on servos. I've decided to call it "Surviving Servos" because using a standard servo with a Prop-1 or Prop-2 is darned difficult to do correctly. Keeping servos refreshed in a single-threaded system requires a different framework and mentality; this is why Scott Edwards invented the serial servo controller (SSC) after the BS1 became popular.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

Jeff Haas

I think one section should help the user understand how to interface with another piece of hardware.  How does it hook up?  What does the data sheet say about how to communicate to it?  Etc.  In other words, the general principles of figuring it out, since there will always be new stuff released after the book comes out.

You could use EFX hardware for an example, which would avoid referring to boards from other companies.  "Let's pretend we didn't know anything about this board, how would we go about using it?"

JackMan

QuoteIn other words, the general principles of figuring it out, since there will always be new stuff released after the book comes out.

Let's be honest, there's ALWAYS gonna be these types of questions no matter how you cut it. I think Jon has and will continue to do an excellent job of explaining what each of the connections do and what gets connected to them for various situations/devices. At some point the end user should be able to figure out how to connect their own devices.  8)

JonnyMac

February 15, 2013, 10:36:22 AM #11 Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:49:41 AM by JonnyMac
I was having a conversation with John B last night and something to point out is that the final product will have LOTS of illustrations. I don't have them now because they take a long time.  I will start inserting markers in the text where an illustration will be.

Part of my challenge, too, is having to explain a bit of electrical/electronics theory through the course of the text. I'm sure this is an area where the "live feedback while the book is written" will get very active.

Please feel free to ask for specific examples and projects. I may not be able to accommodate them all, yet I will do my best. The examples should help explain programming concepts and what I want to do is make sure I have two or more examples of every concept.

There will be an index of PBASIC 1.0 keywords with the normal definition text (Parallax has given me permission to use text from their help file -- which I helped build while I worked there). In addition to the normal stuff, each keyword will get a usefulness rating from me, as well as some commentary.

Other index ideas:
  -- electrical basics (VERY basic)
  -- resistor color codes
  -- working with LEDs (putting Ohm's Law to use)
  -- understanding "open collector" devices
  -- understanding electrical specs on relays and valves

Please submit other ideas for other indices.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

leving

How about -- Connecting to external devices
                    -- Controllers and Audio
                    -- Relays motors
                    -- 3rd party (vmusic)
Everyone will be happy.
Even if they must be held down kicking and screaming until they are.

livinlowe

Quote from: leving on February 21, 2013, 07:15:00 AM
How about -- Connecting to external devices
                    -- Controllers and Audio
                    -- Relays motors
                    -- 3rd party (vmusic)
Yeah, Jon has already said No Vmusic, because it sucks. I fried one, and bought another and havent played yet. With the rogue robotics MP3 player I havent wanted to.
Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

leving

Well, not so much vmusic but other such 3rd party devices that could be controlled.  Tips and advice.
Everyone will be happy.
Even if they must be held down kicking and screaming until they are.