April 29, 2024, 07:43:06 AM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Parallax servo controller usb and vixen

Started by cannix, August 26, 2013, 12:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cannix

Not so long ago, i bought myself a servo controller from parallax planning to use it with vixen 2.x or 3.x
Unfortunaly, it doesn't work. On this forum, i found someone with the same question in 2007 and a link to a forum that doesn't exist anymore. So i was hoping someone could help me to a working driver.
I tried the psc.dll from the vixen support forum (v2.x): doesn't work. logging shows a time out determine the baudrate
I used the psc.dll suplied with vixen 3.0: same problem.
Then i downloaded the generic serial driver from http://www.efx-tek.com/php/smf/index.php?topic=1917.msg11344#msg11344
the error is gone, the LED's on the board blink when i change values of the servos channels but the servo itself doesn't move an inch.

Please help me.

JonnyMac

August 26, 2013, 12:52:43 PM #1 Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 01:08:04 PM by JonnyMac
We're sorry, but neither Vixen nor the PSC are EFX-TEK products. We know how to use Vixen within the scope of our own products but that's where it stops.

There are specific support forums for Vixen; for Vixen 2.x this is the link:
-- http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?12-Vixen-2

We don't want you to be stuck so I will offer this: If you have a Prop-Plug and don't mind downloading a new program into your PSC, I can write you a program (I can get the PSC IO definitions from Parallax) that matches what we do in our HC-8+ with servos. Just the other day I was at Disneyland helping them with this: yes, the Disneyland special effects department uses EFX-TEK products and Vixen for some of their work.

The generic serial controller won't work with the standard PSC code -- there are to many control characters required in the sequence.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

cannix

It is a propeller based board.
I can atleast try if that works. I posted things on the diyc forum but no response. i'm glad you will try to help me.
I guess i need to reprogram the board with propeller tools using a spin file? I can always reload the original firmware into the board, so it's no problem trying to change it that way.
So yes, I like to be helped ;-)

JonnyMac

Okay, I'll do it -- but this is your Mulligan; future questions in our forums MUST pertain to the use of EFX-TEK products. Truth be told, Parallax should be writing this software for you, not EFX-TEK.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

cannix

True.
It's that i already got the board... support of EFX-TEK so far is much better.

JonnyMac

Here's a program -- that you'll have to test as I don't have a PSC handy and cannot spend any more time to spend on a non-EFX-TEK issue. The code is based on what I've used in the HC-8+ many times. You will have to take any further questions on this topic to the Parallax and Vixen support forums.

Quotesupport of EFX-TEK so far is much better

Which is why you should be purchasing from EFX-TEK! :)

I'm locking this thread as it is, technically, a violation of our forums guidelines.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office