April 29, 2024, 09:22:19 AM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Heroes of Cosplay Costume at Comic-Con

Started by JonnyMac, July 25, 2014, 10:34:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonnyMac

July 25, 2014, 10:34:40 AM Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 01:39:47 PM by JonnyMac
I met Jinyo, one of the cast members of the SyFy show, "Heroes of Cosplay," through a mutual friend at Steve Wang's shop. As you know, many of Steve Wang's projects use the HC-8+ for incredible lighting effects. Well, Jinyo needed something much smaller than the HC-8+, so I whipped up a little custom carrier for the Propeller Mini from Parallax. The Propeller is the same chip we use in the AP-16+, HC-8+, and EZ-8+, so I've got plenty of code that will work (you can find it in the HC-8+ section).

As this was a weekend project (really, about six hours worth of work all totaled), I used PCB Fab In A Box to make the PCB. If you're really ambitious about making custom add-ons for your EFX-TEK controllers, this is worth considering. The owner of the company, Frank Miller, is a very nice guy and very helpful.

I got a text from Jinyo this morning. The dress didn't win any prizes, but the crowd loved it. In this video you can hear Chloe Dykstra's reaction (she's also on the show, and daughter of legendary "Star Wars" effect wizard, John Dyksta).

>> http://instagram.com/p/q29SoJBOoq/?modal=true

I'm pleased for my friend, Jinyo. The power of the Propeller chip made programming the dress straightforward. This is why I use it in my personal projects, and why EFX-TEK uses it for our products.

Update: A friend at Parallax found a photo of the dress -- it's attached.

Update: Yaya Han (who is also on "Heroes of Cosplay") posted another picture of the dress Jinyo created.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office