May 01, 2024, 04:41:04 PM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Prop-2 Master - Prop-1 Slave - Vixen 3 Sequence - Multiple Triggers

Started by JoshHHA2014, August 11, 2015, 11:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshHHA2014

Okay, currently working on a theatrical show type scene with a one minute skit. My question is how would I go about using a Prop-2 controller as a master controller with serial communication with a prop-1 controller, and still be able to program multiple sequences determined by trigger activated? Goal is to have 6 inputs on the master and a total of 17 outputs. Each trigger will have a different sound and sequence of outputs for that sound. At this point I havent started programming anything yet until I know it is possible to do. Any help would be much appreciated!

Also if someone could point me in the right direction for setting up Vixen 3 to have multiple trigger sequences with different shows with each trigger would be awesome as well.

bsnut

Josh,

You can't do what you want to do with the Prop-2 and the Prop-1, because of these reasons.

1) The Vixen runs in the EEProm of the Prop-2 and only supports 16 outputs.
2) The Prop-1 only has 8 I/O pins to work with and these would need to be setup as an output controller with 7 pins being            used as outputs and one for serial comms. Leaving the rest of the I/O on the Prop-2 handling the 6 inputs and 10 pins set as    outputs. This means you have run out of pins to handle the serial comms to the Prop-1.

But, I think you are better off using 3 HC-8+'s (if using just the 8 high current only) or 2 HC-8+ (some of the high current outputs and some of servo outputs using the amigo relay boards) and the SD card adapter with your different shows running from it and it lets you do more.

Is there a reason for 17 outputs?   
William Stefan
The Basic Stamp Nut

JonnyMac

The HC-8+ is the way to go: you can create a show with up to 64 channels (eight boards) and the master HC-8+ can be tied to an AP-16+ for audio. Legoland uses this strategy for their animatronics shows. The program will support up to eight shows with direct access, or up to 16 shows with random access.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JoshHHA2014

HC-8's are too high quality of controllers for this project which is mostly just bit pounding. I'm creating a show with an actor having a conversation with a demon over souls including fire and light show along with. Unfortunately, i'm using what sound controllers we already have in stock which are the Sd-10 audio repeater tied in with relay's to the prop-2.

That all being said could I do this with two prop-2 controllers, master/slave?

JonnyMac

You would have to use one of the outputs from the first Prop-2 as a trigger for the second. It doesn't have to be a dedicated channel; as long as you have an event in the 1st controller that starts when the second controller should activate, you're good.

I would suggest using the 3-pin TTL headers to connect the two boards. Just make sure you remove the red wire from the connection. Each board has its own 5V supply and you do not want them clashing. You need the black wire for common ground, and the white wire for signal. On the 2nd prop make sure your trigger input is setup for active-high (SETUP jumper in the DN position).
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JoshHHA2014

I have most of the jumper processes down but thank you for the reminders.
Last year I achieved doing a hc-8 master slave program for two different show rooms with multiple outputs and inputs with the help of William. Thank you again for the help last year.

Now, I had a talk with the head man to come to a new question. If I order the AP-16 controller for doing all four of my sounds, can I play the recording unamplified? I have mixer boards and a JBL w/ built in amplifier. Over amplifying leads to bad bad sounding audio.

Quote from: JonnyMac on August 11, 2015, 07:42:28 PM
The HC-8+ is the way to go: you can create a show with up to 64 channels (eight boards) and the master HC-8+ can be tied to an AP-16+ for audio. Legoland uses this strategy for their animatronics shows. The program will support up to eight shows with direct access, or up to 16 shows with random access.

We also re-communicated on which controllers to use.. We are going to go with the HC-8's as a go to for big projects from here on. Liking the serial communicating better then a simple trigger connection piggy backing to another controller. It's easier to have one controller as the brain or master.

What can I use to time outputs with according sounds which will be determined by trigger activated? We are going to use HC-8 as master to AP-16 controller, so if forum topic could be moved that would be awesome.
I'm 100% new to AP-16+ controller, will need to start my research now.

JackMan

In addition to the amplified outputs, the AP-16+ has RCA line level audio out, left and right.

JoshHHA2014

Quote from: JackMan on August 12, 2015, 12:55:39 PM
In addition to the amplified outputs, the AP-16+ has RCA line level audio out, left and right.

Thank you very much, exactly what I needed to know.

Updated this post:

Quote from: JoshHHA2014 on August 12, 2015, 12:32:48 PM

JackMan

Quote from: JoshHHA2014 on August 12, 2015, 12:32:48 PM

What can I use to time outputs with according sounds which will be determined by trigger activated? We are going to use HC-8 as master to AP-16 controller, so if forum topic could be moved that would be awesome.
I'm 100% new to AP-16+ controller, will need to start my research now.

Your shows will be created using VIXEN. Each show will have a sound file attached to it that will play when that particular show is triggered. The master HC-8+ is connected to the AP-16+ via serial.