April 29, 2024, 08:39:55 AM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Tracer Display for BlizzCon 2015

Started by JonnyMac, November 06, 2015, 06:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonnyMac

November 06, 2015, 06:06:46 PM Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 09:57:17 AM by JonnyMac
Our friends at Alliance Studio have created another beautiful peice for BlizzCon, and we're happy to have made a [very small] contribution. Have a look at this Tracer character display; it's gorgeous.

While the centerpiece is a custom projection animation in the chest (built by Steve Wang's son, Jason), they also wanted a "throbbing" effect for the guns.

Sometimes I write several thousand lines of code for a customer, sometimes I write just a few -- this display is the later. Here's the main code loop (built on the standard HC-8+ template):

pub main | t, level

setup                                                          ' setup io and objects

t := cnt
  repeat
    repeat level from 0 to 200                                   ' fade up
      pwm.set(0, level            + 55)                          '  20% to 100%
      pwm.set(1, level * 75 / 100 + 55)                          '  20% to  80%
      pwm.set(2, level / 2        + 55)                          '  20% to  60%
      waitcnt(t += (1500 * MS_001 / 200))                        '  do ramp in 1.5s

repeat level from 200 to 0                                   ' fade down
      pwm.set(0, level            + 55)                          '  100% to 20%
      pwm.set(1, level * 75 / 100 + 55)                          '   80% to 20%
      pwm.set(2, level / 2        + 55)                          '   60% to 20%
      waitcnt(t += (1500 * MS_001 / 200))                        '  do ramp in 1.5s

Yes, it's really that easy. When we work with our customers it is our job to implement their vision, not impose our own. Steve wanted simple and I gave it to him. It took me longer to drive over to his office than to write the code and show it to him.

For those wondering I made the program output the same basic ramp at different levels because the guns hand not been fully assembled. They ended up using channel 0 (brightest) and said it was perfect.

You can see a bit of video of the projection effect here:
-- https://www.facebook.com/wangfx/videos/10153259273318697/
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

livinlowe

Hey Jon!
How did you do the rotating LED's on the back? Or is that the custom projection piece you referred to? Either way, man, LED's make things cool!!! lol, I wish I had 1/10th the talent Steve and you have.

Great job
Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

JonnyMac

The rotating element is a projection. The projector is in the body at a 90-degree angle to the chess so they can have layers of material to project on -- this creates a 3D effect. This was all handled by Steve Wang's son, Jason. He modeled and then 3D printed all the parts for the projector assembly. As always, that team does amazing work. I was over a few times so I saw it in various stages. The costume is immaculate; a very sweet lady named Vanessa does that. She can do anything with cloth, leather, a needle, and thread!.

Here are more pics of the display:

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

JonnyMac

Here's a neat little video about the Tracer display. The focal point of lighting is a projected video (it's really great), but there is an HC-8+ controlling the lighting on her guns.

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office